Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 cannot save templates

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
darkaquafury
652 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 cannot save templates

Hi,

Im using both AutoCAD Mechanical Student Edition 2013 and 2014 (Vista and Win7 respectively) and I cannot seem to save a template file, it automatically saves it as whatever.dwt.dxf

is this a limitation with the student license? i have seen one thread similar to my issue but its not clear on the answer and refers to AutoCAD 2010.

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: darkaquafury

@darkaquafury wrote:

is this a limitation with the student license?

No - there is no functional difference between student license and commercial license, only the terms of use.

How are you trying to save?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
pendean

You cannot overwrite an existing DWT template file: is that what you are trying to do? You either have to delete the one already there, or save a new name or a new location.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I have autocad mechanical 2013 (fully registered and NOT student version) and experience this problem as well. No matter what I name it or where I store it, I cannot get the file type to save as a .dwt file for use as a template. It will always call the file whatever-I-am-trying-to-name-it.dwt.dxf.  What is the answer to this problem?

Leah 

Message 5 of 9
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

There are at least a few different ways to save a template.  Please describe precisely, step-by-step, the method you are using that gives the stated result.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

SAVEAS command
when the pop-up appears, look at the bottom for FILES OF TYPE and select AUTOCAD DRAWING TEMPLATE (*.DWT)
click the SAVE button.
Note that AutoCAD will not overwite an existing DWT file, you have to delete it first.

It may help you if you are in a DWG and not a DXF file first, although that doesn't seem to matter here at all.

FYI there is no difference between the student and a commercial license except for a printed watermark: students get the full program too.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Step 1: Make all geometry edits, etc. to create the template as I will need to use it using a .dwg file
Step 2: Click on "A" icon to show dialog box for saving, save as, print, etc.
Step 3: Move mouse over to "save as" option and let fly out appear
Step 4: Choose option 2 which is "Drawing Template" - see ...

[cid:image001.png@01CF0D55.F20B45C0]

Step 5: After I choose "Drawing Template" shown below is the save as dialog box I see.

[cid:image003.png@01CF0D56.FF91AF80]

Step 6: I enter the name I want it to be as shown above...
Step 7: I move my mouse up to the "Save in" Field and drop down that and choose it's location as shown below....

[cid:image004.png@01CF0D56.FF91AF80]

Step 8: Then I move my mouse back down and choose "save"
Step 9: Look at my screen and across the top of the interface you will see it saved it as "DrawingTemplate 010914.dwt.dxf"

[cid:image005.png@01CF0D56.FF91AF80]

Step 9: Get very frustrated when I see I cannot save a .dwt file format.

Now, I have also tried using the other option of Save as "other formats" from the dialog box with the same results. Also, I have tried renaming the file and its extension but that doesn't work either.

Thank you,

Leah Clary
CAD Designer - Fabrication

t +1 (713) 944 6130 x1024
f +1 (713) 944 1771
e lclary@enteq.com
w www.enteq.com

[cid:B35CE95A-5117-46BC-8218-FF19249D0DF0]

Enteq Drilling, 9302 Lambright Road, Houston, TX 77075, USA

The information and any documents and files contained in this e-mail are confidential and for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message and notify the sender immediately. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying of this E-mail, or any misuse or wrongful disclosure of the information contained in it, is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Message 8 of 9
pendean

no screenshots came through.
You have sometyhing else going on: do you have file extensions set to be displayed in Windows Explorer? If yes, you should be able to rename file extensions all day long.
Message 9 of 9
dmfrazier

I can certainly understand your frustration.  And in case you were concerned, I dont think this is a case of "user error" (as some responses might lead you to believe).

Question: When the Save Drawing As browse window appears, is the Files of Type field at the bottom still set to DWT before you enter a filename and click Save?

Another question: During the Save As, do you get prompted with the template Options box to add a description, etc.?  

To help relieve your frustration a little, and understanding that it is only a short-term (potential) work-around, after you finish a Save As that results in a something.DWT.DXF file, see what happens if you close the file, rename it by removing the .DXF, and try to use it as a template.  Is the file a valid template?

And one more thing: A DWT file is technically just a renamed DWG (with some special properties added, I think).  If all else fails, you can just save the file as a DWG, rename it to a DWT (and add those properties another way - details to follow, if required).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost