Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning coordinates to CAD drawing to be imported into ArcMap GIS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3247 Views, 3 Replies

Assigning coordinates to CAD drawing to be imported into ArcMap GIS

I have a drawing in CAD (2013) and I am trying to assigned a geo-coordinate system so I can import it into my ArcMap GIS program with the coordinates assigned to it already. Is there any way of doing this? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

For now (afaik) ESRI is not able to use DWG files in 2013-format and also not able to interpret the DWG-internal GeoCoord-Info. So I guess ArcGIS can't.

If you have Map3D (or Civil3D) you can export your geometry as SHP-files, those files support coordinate systems and then yes, the SHP's can be used by ArcGIS.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I suggest the following steps:

1- save a copy of your drawing to the R2012 or earlier format
2- reference the drawing contents as accurately as possible (you may need to get northing and easting values of a street intersection, survey monument, etc. from a GIS layer)
3- move all the objects (if necessary) using a common reference point
4- audit and save the drawing. At this point, it can be attached and viewed in a GIS map project as-is.
5- if you choose to create shapefiles for analysis in the GIS, remember that only one object type is allowed per shapefile (points, lines, or polygons)
6- and just as Alfred mentioned, you need the Mapexport function provided by Map3D to create shapefiles.
7- it is recommended to assign projection / coordinate systems within the GIS using one of the toolbox tools, or by creating a copy of each shapefile and adopting the coordinate system of the active data frame.

This is a method similar to one I use for more complex updates to our electric system model.

I hope this is helpful.

-Mike

Message 4 of 4
mzareicad

As one of the responders mentioned at this time AutoCAD Map 3D is not able to identify the internal CAD coordinate system but you may assign the proper coordinates system using ArcCatalog. in ArcCagalog browse to the location of the dwg file, right click select properties and there you may choose your coordinate system and assighn it to the the CAD file. Now in ArcMap if you add that dwg CAD features(points, lines, polygones, ....) into your data view they would be properly projected.

bear in mind if your CAD drawing for example is in UTM NAD 83 Zone 17 you may only assign that system to the CAD file using ArcCatalog. if in ArcMap dataview the system is UTM NAD 27 Zone 17, ArcMap transform the CAD file spatial reference on-the-fly into this system, that's something AutoCAD Map 3D is not able to do it. All features must be in the same coordinate system in AutoCAD, something that was solved long time ago by ESRI. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost