Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotating a drawing in Layout space

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
DRoam
413 Views, 3 Replies

Annotating a drawing in Layout space

I just recently started using AutoCAD again after using Inventor for several months, and I'm having a very difficult time with annotations. I'd like to annotate the proper way, and I believe that's from withing layout space. I have several small weld details that simply need to be laid out on this drawing. They're all drawn to 1:1 scale, and I'd like to use Viewports to scale them up or down as appropriate.

Can someone please give me as much advice as possible, and point me to as many resources as possible, and help me understand how to properly annotate dimensions, text, and weld details such that they will all appear of uniform size among all details, but will be associative with respect to the geometry of each detail? This is quite simple in Inventor simply because of how it's designed to work, but AutoCAD works very differently and I'm very unfamiliar with how to work with text styles and dimstyles and weld-symbol styles in this manner. I've done a lot of searching and researching and no matter what I try, I can't get my annotation styles to work right. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
drjohn
in reply to: DRoam

If you are trying to dim in layout space (eg: on a layout tab and not MODEL tab) simply setup your mviews to the scale you want to see, set DIMASSOC to 2 and dim away.  No need for annotation in that case.

Insert your weld symbols at 1:1 on the layout tab drawing, plot 1:1 and yer good to go.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 4
steve216586

Try this tutorial for annotative scales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEdFeR6YE4 

This one for annotative dimensions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9oKI_o2q0

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 4
Jay_B

Another option, There's a video on the Autodesk University website, class # AC2512 "Annotation scaling in AutoCad bringing the Technology home". To watch it or access the course materials you must register set up an AU account which is free.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost