Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angle symbol in Mtext......

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hkaplan1227
1009 Views, 4 Replies

Angle symbol in Mtext......

My current text style using Aerial Narrow. I have mtext that has the Angle symbol in it. The text looks fine until I create a PDF file. After i plot to the PDF file the Angle symbols become squares.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help would be great

Using Autocad 2014

Howard Kaplan, Civil3D 2014
Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: hkaplan1227

In your PDF driver (or PC3 file) there are settings for font handling which may be the cause.  These will differ depending on which PDF driver you are using.  For example, AutoCAD's DWG to PDF driver has a Custom Properties page:

DWG to PDF Properties-3.PNG

Experiment with different settings there.

Also search previous posts for "PDF capture all fonts".  One example:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Printing-and-Plotting/Diameter-symbol-not-plotted-DWG-to-PDF/m-p/43083...

Message 3 of 5
hkaplan1227
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks for the input. Aerial Narrow was check off already. I then selected Capture All and I checked As Geomtry. Saved the PC3 and then tried again. It still did not work. I also restarted autocad.

I'm in the middle of changing the font for the symbol to Simplex and that seems to work.

Why would anyone not want to capture all?. Its one of those setting that makes me wonder why?

Howard Kaplan, Civil3D 2014
Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

Message 4 of 5
dmfrazier
in reply to: hkaplan1227

"...changing the font for the symbol to Simplex and that seems to work."

From some of the posts I saw it seemed that switching to a different font often was the (only?) solution.

"Why would anyone not want to capture all?"

That's a good question which I have wondered about as well.  I assume it impacts file size, and maybe it is configurable to give control over the ability to search within the PDF file (or not).  Not sure...perhaps some PDF guru out there will enlighten us. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Gary_J_Orr
in reply to: dmfrazier

You don't need a PDF guru, you've already answered the question...
Embedding fonts can drastically increase file size (and this is true for many, many file types)... and changing them to graphics means that there is no "text"...
For the OP... the "As Geometry" option should produce a WYSIG document (What You See Is... what you... Get)... but there may be underlying issues in the driver that fails when parsing that particular font for that particular shape...

Do you have a system (not pc3) driver for printing PDF's that you can test against?
Can you try printing to a different format (such as a simple DWF)... do the symbols come through? If you print from the resultant DWF to PDF do the symbols translate?
Do you see the same issues when printing from the Publish command instead of directly from the Print command?

Log any such test results and send them on to AutoDesk so they can fix whatever the issue is (PDF plotting has been problematic since they started providing a driver and they need to know that it still is)

-Gary
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost