AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
gearknox
Message 1 of 16 (2,173 Views)

AUTOCAD 2013 OPENS AS AUTOCAD MECHANICAL ALL OF A SUDDEN

2173 Views, 15 Replies
11-18-2012 02:50 PM

For some unknown reason the target file attached to the AutoCAD 2013 shortcut has been changed to Autocad Mechanical 2013

How do I fix that?

Thanks

Bob Price

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 16 (2,165 Views)

Re: AUTOCAD 2013 OPENS AS AUTOCAD MECHANICAL ALL OF A SUDDEN

11-18-2012 04:04 PM in reply to: gearknox

Can you simply create a new Shortcut?

Go to Start>Autodesk>AutoCAD Mechanical>Run as AutoCAD and right click drag and copy a new icon to the desktop.

If this doesn't work - post back for more detailed instructions to fix the problem.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
gearknox
Message 3 of 16 (2,161 Views)

11-18-2012 04:37 PM in reply to: JDMather
Correct me if I am wrong, but apparently AutoCAD 2013 runs as asubset of AutoCAD Mechanical? I followed your suggestions and dragged out a new shortcut that proceeded to open Mechanicalrather than AutoCAD. Two days ago I installed Autodesk Product Design Suite 2013 Premium and have been struggling eversince to get it set up. Maybe I just never noticed that AutoCAD 2013 was a subset of Mechanical.
Valued Contributor
lesleys
Message 4 of 16 (2,148 Views)

11-19-2012 12:45 AM in reply to: gearknox

When you look in your start choose

All Programmes

Autodesk

Autodesk Mechanical 2013

Then you should see Autodesk 2013 English (or somethinhg like it)

AND Auotodesk Mechanical 2013

Create your shortcut using the first one & it should work.

i had to redo some of my shortcuts with a new laptop & that worked for me. :smileywink:

Valued Contributor
gearknox
Message 5 of 16 (2,141 Views)

11-19-2012 04:24 AM in reply to: lesleys
Unfortunately for me, there is no AutoCAD 2012 for English; there is only Autodesk Mechanical. Not sure how to recover from that Thanks Bob Price
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 6 of 16 (2,136 Views)

11-19-2012 05:56 AM in reply to: gearknox

If you don't have a shortcut in your Start, Programs, etc. that you can copy to your desktop, it's a simple matter to create your own.  Right-click an open area of the desktop and select New, then Shortcut.  When prompted for the target, browse to "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\<your product>\acad.exe".  Give the shortcut a name that reminds you it is for launching "plain" AutoCAD (not "Mechanical").

After using this shortcut to launch the product, you will have to change from the Mechanical profile to a "vanilla" profile via Tools, Options, Profiles tab.  There should be one available named "<<Vanilla>>.  If there isn't, then you can force AutoCAD to create one by temporarily modifying your new desktop shortcut (or create another one).  Add the /p startup switch and the name of a (non-existent) profile you would like it to use at startup.  (If the profile doesn't exist, AutoCAD will create it using its default settings.)  So the  target in the shortcut would read: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\<your product>\acad.exe" /p MyProfile.  (Note that the quotes enclose the path/filename but not the switch.)  If you modified your shortcut, be sure to edit it back after using it that one time.

By launching AutoCAD with your custom desktop shortcut (without the /p switch) or by double-clicking a DWG file, AutoCAD will (should) always come up with the profile that was current the last time it was closed.  

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 7 of 16 (2,134 Views)

11-19-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: gearknox

Correction: AutoCAD is not really a "subset" of AutoCAD Mechanical.  Mechanical is basically AutoCAD (same "engine") with a special profile that loads all sorts of fun Mechanical stuff.  (But I think you get the jist of it.)

Valued Contributor
gearknox
Message 8 of 16 (2,124 Views)

11-19-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: dmfrazier
Here is what I found when I searched for something to link the shortcut to - AutoCAD_2013_AcVbainstaller_English_Win_32bit which doesn't seem to me to be what I want. It seems to be a Visual basic installer. I could not find any that looked like AutoCAD 2013 English. BUT - if Ican do 3D solid modeling of complex manufacturing systems in AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 then I really don't carewhat Autodesk calls it. Thanks very much for the help. Bob Price A*G*M
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 9 of 16 (2,112 Views)

11-19-2012 09:13 AM in reply to: gearknox

Bob,

Based on your first post (as well as what you wrote as the subject), I got the impression you had been running AutoCAD 2013 as "vanilla" (or at least "non-Mechanical") AutoCAD since you installed Product Design Suite 2013 Premium.  Is this true?

AutoCAD "normally" installs the acad.exe in the path I indicated in my last post.  If you cannot browse to that folder (or something similar under C:\Program Files), then I am inclined to conclude that you don't have sufficient privileges on your computer, or you at least don't have Windows set up to show all files and folders.  Is there someone in your office who manages your computer and would be able to help you with this?

Valued Contributor
gearknox
Message 10 of 16 (2,102 Views)

11-19-2012 10:47 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

Your question prompted my memory to think back and realize I had added AGM as a profile rather than vanilla.  As for other users, I am it.  I work out of my home office as a one person company and have been using AutoCAD since release 10 and all in 3D solids.

This transition is from 2008 to 2013 so i have a strong notion that what I should be working with is AutoCAD 2012 not Mechanical 2013. 

I also just fired up a Lenovo S30 workstation with lots of good hardware rnning Windows 7 so that complicates things since I am learning a new operating system as well as a much newer version of AutoCAD.  

Would it be an unreasonable request to ask you to link to my machine via TeamViewer as I suspect that 15 minutes of your time on my nickle would get me to the pont where I could focus on learning to use the software rather than the non-productive housekeeping stuff??   I would need your phone number.

As before, I really appreciate your stepping in to help.

Bob Price

A*G*M

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube