Did you mean: 

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
durentech
8439 Views, 44 Replies

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

I recently was the unknowing recipient of a signature file for an engineer's stamp that was created using an Educational version of AutoCAD. When using 2014 you no longer get a message telling you that if you save the file a plot stamp will appear on the drawings saying it was produced using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. I only realized my drawings contained this Educational version file after opening up one of my drawings in AutoCAD 2013. The general contractor requested my AutoCAD files for his use so this potentially would make me appear to have been the party that was working with a non-commercial version of AutoCAD which is completely false.

My advice to anyone using any file provided by another party is to first try to open it in a previous version, assuming you have a previous version on your computer. Once any file created using an Educational version of AutoCAD gets embedded into your AutoCAD 2014 drawing there is no way to get rid of the plot stamp once the drawing is opened and saved in 2013 or earlier. Imagine producing drawings for a multi-story building using AutoCAD 2014...huge files, many drawings...completing the project and then discovering your company appears to be using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. Very embarassing to say the least.

Please fix this ASAP, Autodesk, so this doesn't happen to other unsuspecting users. I would attach the file that caused my problems but my client's signature is on that file.  

44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45
durentech
in reply to: stefano.taino

I downloaded and installed AutoCAD 2015 a couple of months ago as part of my ongoing subscription renewal each year. I opened the file I had determined, by trial and error, to be the one that triggered the educational plot stamp...saved it in 2015, and then opened it in 2013 and there is no plot stamp. So Autodesk didn't fail us when they said that would be the case. I only question why they would make the plot stamp message not appear in 2014, knowing full well we'd all be at risk, unknowingly, by them doing so. But a shrewd businessman might employ such a tactic to gaurantee robust sales of AutoCAD 2015 by innocent parties like us who after unknowingly were the victims of their 2014 deployment...whose reputations were tarnished, and are anxiuos to buy the "FIX" (AutoCAD 2015) as our only remedy.

FYI: AutoCAD 2015 opens without a horizontal scroll bar...something I use all the time to position model space images into paper space viewports...like building elevations that align, floor to floor. Easy, peasey...until they screwed me. Granted, someone will say to use Pan or Zoom but why should I change the way i've done things to suit some knucklehead who forgot to put in in. They left the vertical scroll bar in...WHY???? I'm told it will be rectified in an upcoming HOT FIX or Service Pack. In the meantime I'm using 2014. Isn't a year long enough to change the look of the icons? Do they really need to mess with things that were a part of every version for the last 20 years?

Message 42 of 45
justshutup
in reply to: durentech

@durentech wrote:

I downloaded and installed AutoCAD 2015 a couple of months ago as part of my ongoing subscription renewal each year. I opened the file I had determined, by trial and error, to be the one that triggered the educational plot stamp...saved it in 2015, and then opened it in 2013 and there is no plot stamp. So Autodesk didn't fail us when they said that would be the case. I only question why they would make the plot stamp message not appear in 2014, knowing full well we'd all be at risk, unknowingly, by them doing so. But a shrewd businessman might employ such a tactic to gaurantee robust sales of AutoCAD 2015 by innocent parties like us who after unknowingly were the victims of their 2014 deployment...whose reputations were tarnished, and are anxiuos to buy the "FIX" (AutoCAD 2015) as our only remedy.

FYI: AutoCAD 2015 opens without a horizontal scroll bar...something I use all the time to position model space images into paper space viewports...like building elevations that align, floor to floor. Easy, peasey...until they screwed me. Granted, someone will say to use Pan or Zoom but why should I change the way i've done things to suit some knucklehead who forgot to put in in. They left the vertical scroll bar in...WHY???? I'm told it will be rectified in an upcoming HOT FIX or Service Pack. In the meantime I'm using 2014. Isn't a year long enough to change the look of the icons? Do they really need to mess with things that were a part of every version for the last 20 years?

Autodesk's response re the horizontal scroll bar:  http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD...

Message 43 of 45
durentech
in reply to: justshutup

OK...I read the article explaining how to use the center mouse button to pan. Great! Now on a drawing of 12 building elevations on 12 different tabs I'll need to move and reposition the image in the paper space viewport BOTH vertically and horizontally when I only needed to position the image horizontally WITH the horizontal scroll bar.

So tell me then...why did they keep the vertical scroll bar??

Message 44 of 45
rkmcswain
in reply to: durentech

I'm sure it was an oversight, but why would you adjust the viewport vertically and horizontally when you only need to adjust it horizontally?

You can use the -Pan command with ortho or hold the shift key while you pan with the center button. Both will constrain the pan action as desired.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 45 of 45
durentech
in reply to: rkmcswain

I tried using the center mouse button with ortho on and the image didn't pan horizontally. Thanks for the tip. I feel like a fool now but understand I've been using the scroll bar for 20 years.

Thanks. A much more detailed explanation was all I needed. I'd still like the scrol bar back nonetheless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost