Did you mean: 

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
durentech
8442 Views, 44 Replies

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

I recently was the unknowing recipient of a signature file for an engineer's stamp that was created using an Educational version of AutoCAD. When using 2014 you no longer get a message telling you that if you save the file a plot stamp will appear on the drawings saying it was produced using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. I only realized my drawings contained this Educational version file after opening up one of my drawings in AutoCAD 2013. The general contractor requested my AutoCAD files for his use so this potentially would make me appear to have been the party that was working with a non-commercial version of AutoCAD which is completely false.

My advice to anyone using any file provided by another party is to first try to open it in a previous version, assuming you have a previous version on your computer. Once any file created using an Educational version of AutoCAD gets embedded into your AutoCAD 2014 drawing there is no way to get rid of the plot stamp once the drawing is opened and saved in 2013 or earlier. Imagine producing drawings for a multi-story building using AutoCAD 2014...huge files, many drawings...completing the project and then discovering your company appears to be using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. Very embarassing to say the least.

Please fix this ASAP, Autodesk, so this doesn't happen to other unsuspecting users. I would attach the file that caused my problems but my client's signature is on that file.  

44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45
dgorsman
in reply to: durentech

While there is some attention paid to this forum by AutoDesk employees, I'd recommend filing this as a bug report through the support request system so it is officially logged in the tracking system.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 45
durentech
in reply to: dgorsman

I did create a support request and gave the suspect file to Autodesk to prove what was happening. The person who responded to my support request confirmed that in AutoCAD 2014 SP1 there was no message being displayed at all. He has relayed my concern to the developers regarding this behavior. 

Message 4 of 45
DarrenP

another thread on this

using LT 2014

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT-General/Educational-stamp-WARNING-not-showing-up-not-an-iss...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 45
David_Knight
in reply to: DarrenP

I can confirm that in Acad Architecture 2013 I received a notice / popup stating that the file I opened was made in an educational version.

We just recently upgraded to Acad Archtiecture 2014, so I opted to go back and open that particular file again.  It did not prompt/warn me it was made in an educational version.

HOWEVER it also DID NOT Print the educational banner either.

Very strange.

Message 6 of 45
Patchy
in reply to: David_Knight

and if plot to PDF the Edu stamp can be hidden.

That will make 2014 edu version selling like hot cakes.

Message 7 of 45
David_Knight
in reply to: Patchy

If EDU drawings get into the mix at our office, I'm not sure what we'll be able to do to fix the problem except treat it like gangrene/cancer.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 45
rkmcswain

@David_Knight wrote:
  If EDU drawings get into the mix at our office, I'm not sure what we'll be able to do to fix the problem except treat it like gangrene/cancer.

I wonder if Owen knows about this issue and would be willing to update EDU Scan?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 45
durentech
in reply to: rkmcswain

As the originator of this particular post I can tell you what I was told. In AutoCAD 2014 it was decided to not have the Educational Version plot stamp appear when plotted but anyone who opened the drawing in a previous version would indeed get the message. I was also told that AutoCAD 2015 would both not show the message and a drawing created in 2015 would not contain the message when opened in a pre 2014 version. As we all know, nothing is a sure thing until the new version comes out.

I say a better way to flag files created with an Educational version is to have the .dwg file icon appear differently...say with a small EDU next to the normal icon. At that point the blame would fall on whoever ignored the warning.

Plotting my drawings in either DWG format and PDF format worked just fine working in AutoCAD 2014, even when saving down to earlier formats. Of course as soon as the file is opened in AutoCAD 2014 it remains in that format until it's saved again. 

Message 10 of 45
nestly2

I'm not disputing what others have said, but I do get the EDU warnings and the EDU plotstamp in AutoCAD2014, so it appears there's some other factor involved.

Message 11 of 45
maxim_k

@nestly:
>>but I do get the EDU warnings and the EDU >>plotstamp in AutoCAD2014,

Have you installed SP1 for AutoCAD 2014?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 12 of 45
David_Knight
in reply to: maxim_k

perhaps a difference between autocad 2014 and autocad archtecture 2014?

autocad architecture did not give me the warning / plot stamp.

Message 13 of 45
durentech

I have installed SP1 for autoCAD 2014. I recall installing it a while back and in what was previously called Communication Center the message says my product is up to date.

I've always opted for DVD and in all previous years the DVD's came with my serial number and product key. This year the DVD says it's a DVD Media Kit and there was no serial number and product key so when i installed it I got the information from Subscription Center. The first thing i did after seeing there was content produced by an Educational Version in my drawings was to check the license status and it confirmed i have a Stand Alone license for commercial use.

Message 14 of 45
durentech

Since most of us don't have a file created in an Educational Version of AutoCAD I decided to provide the file that I inadvertently put into my drawings. I modified my client's signature to protect him.

This is just for the curious souls, mind you. Just try to open it in 2014, then in an earlier version to replicate what I experienced.

If you choose to experiment don't save this...just X out of the drawing.

I'm not responsible, nor is my unknown client, for any complications arising from the use of this file.

Message 15 of 45
DarrenP

there is a sample file on the other thread i referenced

but here it is again

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT-General/Educational-stamp-WARNING-not-showing-up-not-an-iss...

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 45
DarrenP

@David_Knight wrote:

i just tried it on Civil 3D 2014 w/o SP 1 installed and it shows the plot stamp warning

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 17 of 45
DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

@David_Knight wrote:

i just tried it on Civil 3D 2014 w/o SP 1 installed and it shows the plot stamp warning

i will try it with SP 1 installed now

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 18 of 45
DarrenP

it looks like SP1 does get rid of the warning message

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 19 of 45
durentech

My AutoCAD 2014 is not a part of any Premium Suite offering. I had AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite before they abandoned it and the AutoCAD product within that Suite after 2010 was really AutoCAD Structural Detailing in disguise. I really only wanted AutoCAD so I convinced Autodesk (took an act of congress) to give me a stand alone license for vanilla AutoCAD in 2013 because I didn't need 8 programs that came with the logical progression upgrade they were trying to offer.

Having said that, I just attempted to re-install AutoCAD 2014 SP1 and immediately got a message saying it was already installed. I still do not get the plot stamp warning message using AutoCAD 2014. From what I've read, the suites currently offering AutoCAD 2014 are actually providing AutoCAD 2014 and not some cross-breeded version so I fail to understand why some users are getting the Educational Version plot stamp warning but I am not.

Are there any users that JUST have a stand alone AutoCAD 2014 license that have installed SP1 and DO get the plot stamp warning?

Message 20 of 45
maxim_k

No warnings about educational version and no plot stamp in PDF output here (AutoCAD 2014 with SP1 installed). The same - no warnings and no stamp - in AutoCAD 2014 for Mac.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost