Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 to 10 second delay to find references to objects

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dben89x
365 Views, 6 Replies

5 to 10 second delay to find references to objects

I'm getting some massive delay in finding references to objects, for instance the center point of a circle, or a perpendicular point of a line.

For example, when trying to snap to the center point of a circle, it will randomly show me the center points of half the circles I have in the drawing.  If I wait long enough the other ones will usually show up, but it takes around 10 seconds.  These are not big files and I have no delay with anything else.

I've seen lots of posts about cursor delay when selecting objects, but I have none of that.  It doesn't seem like the program is getting hung up or running too many processes at once, so I don't know why it's taking so long to find references to these objects.

I've tried selecting where I know the center point of the circle is, but it gives me an invalid entry message when I try to do that.  This wouldn't be too big of a problem to work around if it was occasional, but it seems to be recurring all the time now.  I've tried restarting the program and my computer.  Anyone else have any similar problems?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: dben89x

AutoCAD version?
Did this problem just start?
is the problem limited to this one file you are in? Or does it appear in all files?
Does it appear if you start a new blank file?\, draw a few objects and try to do as you pointed out?
Are the files on a server of on your PC, or on a thumbdrive?
Your Windows version?

Remember, we can't see over your should so just telling us it's slow means little way over here.
Message 3 of 7
dben89x
in reply to: pendean

It's AutoCAD 2014.

It started about 2-3 weeks ago and has been recurring since.

It's in all files I create, and doesn't seem to have any kind of particular pattern (at least that I can notice).

I've tried using files directly on my computer's hard drive and also using external hard drives.

I'm using Windows 8.1.

This happens whenever I try to do something like snap to a center point of a circle, snap to a perpendicular point in a line, snap to a tangent point of a circle, really anything that tries to use a point of reference to another object.

I attached a zip file of 7 screen shots of a new file with a number of circles, and tried to draw a line starting from a center point of a circle.  Over a period of about 15 seconds, the center reference points all started to show up in random order.  I tried scrolling the cursor over and clicking on certain center points (I was using snap mode so I'm sure of where the exact center points were), but they still just showed up in random order.  It isn't uniform in the manner that they show up either.  Two popped up almost immediately at the same time, then 5 seconds later another one showed up, then another 5 seconds another one showed up, etc.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

I recommend that you turn off Snap to Grid (F9)
and turn off the Grid (F7)

To snap to the center of a circle - select the circle (not the center, AutoCAD will find the center when you have centerpoint osnap active.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I'm using Windows 8.1

First of all: AutoCAD 2014 is (currently) not supported for Win 8.1

>> t started about 2-3 weeks ago

Is it possible, that 3 weeks ago you have not had updated to 8.1?

2 ideas to try:

a) the command-line is not docked like in older AutoCAD releases, try to dock it to botton border of AutoCAD.

b) disable dynamic input (<F12>)

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 7
pendean

Did you install Win8.1 three or so weeks ago? Bad idea.
Otherwise Windows System Restore back to a month or two ago would most likely fix whatever it is you added to your system that killed it.

AutoCAD code didn't change, your system did, if none of the excellent tips above from others don't fix it.

Message 7 of 7
dben89x
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I installed 8.1 on my computer when it first came out, which was months ago, so I don't think it's an incompatability issue with the operating system, at least from what I can tell.

I didn't even notice I could dock the command line to the bottom, and while that's a cool thing I got out of this post, it didn't fix the problem.

Turning off dynamic input didn't do anything either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost