Did you mean: 

2015 does NOT remember workspace settings for dual monitors

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
TuiKingdon
1658 Views, 23 Replies

2015 does NOT remember workspace settings for dual monitors

I have an issue with Autocad 2015 in that it does not remember my workspace settings. I work with dual monitors and have the properties tab and the ribbon tab undocked on the second screen with assorted tools undocked from the ribbon on the second screen as well.

It does remember the position for the undocked tools from the ribbon onto the second monitor when I open a file with my saved workspace settings setup but 2015 refuses to remember where to dock the properties tab and ribbon and opens them up on the first monitor.

I never had this issue with Autocad 2014, it remembered where everything sat on the second monitor.

I am running windows 7 on a Dell Precision T3500 with 12GB Ram and an AMD FirePro V7900 (FireGL V) Video Card which is a supported card.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Can you please check the following solution and see whether it helps. It is applied for AutoCAD as well,

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 24

Hi Vinod, the solution you posted was for Nvidia and ATI cards, my card is AMD and is supported by Autodesk, which setting do  I use for this supported hardware? how do  I find it? 

My monitors are identical and at the same resolution. I have gone into the AMD control Centre and played around with a few settings but nothing has worked for my supported hardware.

Message 4 of 24

Hi Tui,

The solution has the information for ATI cards as well. There is a tool called hydravision for driver settings, can you check that out. I don't have an ATI card to test it immediately. I will send you a screenshot soon.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 5 of 24

Hi Vinod, Thanks for the Reply, I am at home now so not at my work machine, but if you can post up thise screenshots of what to do that would help, I did notice the hydravision settings, but not sure now which settings I played with. It is the weekend here now, So I will see if your advice provides a solution on Monday, Thanks Vinod, Have a good weekend.
Message 6 of 24

Hi Tui,

Can you send me your contact details through a private message. I will give you a call and probably can take your machine remotely to see how we can change these settings at your end as I don't have a hydravision running at my end.

Looking forward to your convenience on the timing and date.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 7 of 24
nrz13
in reply to: TuiKingdon

Are all of your palettes opening in the middle of the screen on the primary monitor?  I experienced this when I updated to the Autodesk recommended driver and also the latest AMD drivers.  I had to go back to the old driver we were using, version 8.911.3.1000.  I'm running a V4900, which I believe uses the same unified driver you'd be using for your V7900.  All of the AMD drivers I've tried have serious performance issues in AutoCAD 2015.  I have not been able to get back to the performance I had in 2014 and below.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 8 of 24
TuiKingdon
in reply to: nrz13

Ok I went into Hydravision/ Desktop Manager and under Dialogue Control and selected the 'Show on Preferred Display', so now what happens is that it opens the tabs on the second monitor in the middle of the display, stacked on top of each other, failing to remember their positions on workspace settings, ie Autocad still fails to remember the tools and tabs position's on the screen.

Are all of your palettes opening in the middle of the screen on the primary monitor?

Yes, stacked on top of each other.

I experienced this when I updated to the Autodesk recommended driver and also the latest AMD drivers.  I had to go back to the old driver we were using, version 8.911.3.1000.  I'm running a V4900, which I believe uses the same unified driver you'd be using for your V7900.  All of the AMD drivers I've tried have serious performance issues in AutoCAD 2015.  I have not been able to get back to the performance I had in 2014 and below.

Did reverting back to the old driver get Autocad 2015 to remember workspace settings on the 2nd monitor? I dont have any other isssues so far except it failing the basics, fingers crossed, appreciate the advice and reply, cheers.

Message 9 of 24
nrz13

It's not AutoCAD but the AMD driver that's doing that.  You can test it by pressing Window Key + R and you'll notice the Windows Run prompt popping up in the middle of the screen as well instead of in the bottom left where it should be.

Reverting back to the old driver fixed it, but note that I didn't uninstall the new one and reinstall the old one; I just went back to a previous Windows system image backup that had the old driver.

And, to reiterate, none of the drivers I've tried are performing well in AutoCAD 2015 and that is due to Autodesk changing how it handles the graphics in 2015 versus older versions.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 10 of 24
TuiKingdon

Thanks for that Nrz13, I'll see if Vinod can help me, but I suspect he's in a different timezone so this could probably take some time to resolve this issue. If nothing happens in the next week or two, I will most likely uninstall and reinstall Old drivers to get this New Software to function at least at its minimum. Cheers mate.
Message 11 of 24

Hi Tui,

As we spoke, can you please uninstall hydravision and also check the latest certified graphics driver from the link below and see whether it helps.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534

Do let me know the results.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 12 of 24

Ok, I did as instructed and went to the site to d/l the drivers, it didnt have a driver for Autodesk Building Design Suite 2015 available, I just d/led the one for Autocad 2015 for windows 7 64bit version: AMD FirePro AMD FireMV Unified Display Driver 13.152.4. This seems to be an older driver than I was using.

This didn't resolve anything, I am back to square 1 where the tabs load on top of each other over the drawing space on the first monitor.

Ok, I played around with the "AMD Eyefinity" tab in the AMD control Centre and in order for my tabs and tools to load correctly I needed to turn the dual displays as one single monitor. This is far from what I want though. I would like it to be two different monitors with my tools and tabs loading in the correct positions as I had in the previous version of Autocad 2014.

Message 13 of 24
nrz13
in reply to: jessica342336

WARNING:  Do not click on spam link from jessica342336.  This user is spamming multiple threads with the same bogus message.

Message 14 of 24

Thanks Tui for the update. I just got a confirmation that there is a known issue in 2015 and this is being addressed by our development team. Do let me know, if you have any questions or concern.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 15 of 24

Vinod:

I've been working with an AMD representative and he had me uninstall the Intel onboard graphics driver (the hardware side of it had already been disabled in the BIOS).  Additionally, I also uninstalled all AMD drivers and reinstalled the latest 13.352.1006 driver.  That fixed the issue with window elements popping up in the middle of the screen for me.

However, the drivers are still very noticeably underperforming in AutoCAD 2015 compared to AutoCAD 2014 (especially when selecting multiple objects and moving over hatches in the middle of a command ‒ this can be a several minute wait as compared to no wait at all in 2014).

Message 16 of 24
TuiKingdon

Nzr I am having exactly the same problems!
Message 17 of 24
nrz13

TuiKingdon:

Unfortunately, the AMD representative has not been able to reproduce the performance issues so far.  I'm going to send him the link to this thread.  I'll keep you updated if I find out anything else.

Message 18 of 24
TuiKingdon

Hi NZR, thanks for that, I just want to note in this thread that those drivers I installed are causing all sorts of woes, I cant even open up autocad now, so will go and d/l the latest drivers that I didnt have any problems with opening Autocad, cheers.
Message 19 of 24
TuiKingdon

Ok I just installed the new drivers that were dated 6th of May 2014 and they seem to be working ok with my workspace settings being remembered. I am not sure if the other issues are resolved such as the freezing when working with hatches and multiple selections, but the tabs and tools did load where they were supposed to.

Just to note too, I went to AMD's site to d/l the drivers and followed the exact same procedure of choosing card/ operating system that I did initially and ended up with a whole different set of drivers altogether, that seem to be targeted for firepro gl, where initially they were generic drivers, this might have been the root of the problem? I dunno.

Message 20 of 24

Thanks Tui and NZ. This is very helpful. I will be documenting your suggestions to our Knowledge base. This would help our other customers as well.

Well done guys. Hope you have a good time with 2015 release. Do contact me, if you want to share any additional inputs on this.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost