Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 and 2014

38 REPLIES 38
Message 1 of 39
ebrown
912 Views, 38 Replies

2015 and 2014

When using dynamic input and I offset 12 1/2", the 1/2" gets dropped and only 12" gets offset....Why?

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
nestly2
in reply to: ebrown

You can only enter input as fractional inches such as 12-1/2 when using Architectural or Scientific UNITS, otherwise you'd have to input in decimal format (12.5)    Are the UNITS in the drawing set to Architectural?  Is the precision (also in the UNITS dialog box) set to 1/2" or less?

Message 3 of 39
ebrown
in reply to: nestly2

The units are set to Architectural  precision 1/16" when I first key in the 12.5 to offset, it looks fine, but hit enter again and the fraction gets dropped.

Message 4 of 39
jdavis417

It seems that it should work (it does for me)... Are you offsetting a closed polyline to the inside perhaps?  Is a 12.5" offset not possible but 12" is?  That's just a wild guess!  How are you determining the actual offset distance?  Can you attach a screen-shot or the actual .dwg?  There must be a specific situation that we're unaware of?

Message 5 of 39
ebrown
in reply to: jdavis417

Command: OFFSET
Current settings: Erase source=No  Layer=Source  OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <44'-6">: 44'6.5
Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] <Exit>:
Command:
OFFSET
Current settings: Erase source=No  Layer=Source  OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <44'-6 1/2">: 44'-6
Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] <Exit>: 1/2"

If I hit enter twice during dynamic input I loose the fraction with dynamic input turned off I can hit enter as many times as I want and not loose the fraction.

Message 6 of 39
jdavis417

Oh!  So it's the default value on the next use that doesn't persist the 1/2"?  It's working correctly on the first attempt, right?

I think I've seen this before but I'll have to wait a minute to see if I can figure it out again!

Message 7 of 39
ebrown

Yes. That is correct and it only happens with Dynamic input.

Message 8 of 39
jdavis417

What version?  Do you have all the Service Packs & Hotfixes?  (sorry, we probably should have started with those questions)

Message 9 of 39
ebrown

PRODUCT VERSION I/108.0.0 AutoCAD 2014 SP1

PRODUCT VERSION  J.51.0.0 AutoCAD 2015  Out of box.

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME.....One reason I don't use dynamic input.

Message 10 of 39
jdavis417

It's very odd... my machine isn't doing that!  I really do think I dealt with this in about version 2012, but can't stumble into the cause/fix (if I ever found one).  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Message 11 of 39
ebrown

Thank you for looking.

I can repeat this on 10 other workstations

Message 12 of 39
jdavis417

Check the value of LUPREC... does it match your precision set in the UNITS command?

Message 13 of 39
Yorx57

If you look carefully at the lines that you posted - I believe everything is working proper, it's the way you are entering it:

There is where you entered in the 44 feet 6 and a half inches. Now, 4 lines down, you restarted the offset command, and if you look at the default:

It is shown it correctly. Then you typed in 44'-6 <spacebar>!!! This is where the problem is I believe. The <spacebar> is the same as hitting enter, which you can see on the next line:

AutoCAD has "seen" an "enter" and has continued the command.  It's asking you to select the object, but you are still typing in a distance, which of course it is going to ignore at this point.

Message 14 of 39
Yorx57
in reply to: Yorx57

Sorry for the double post, I was not at the office when I wrote my previous post, and couldn't remember for sure how to enter in the Architectural format. Now that I'm at the office I was able to verify the entry, so you have to enter it as either:

44'-6.5" OR 44'-6-1/2"

Regardless if dynamic input is turned on or off.
Message 15 of 39
ebrown

I tried settings 0-8 same results.

Message 16 of 39
ebrown

Yorx57,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried both entry type with the same results.

You are correct in that the space between the inch and the fraction is forcing an enter and dropping the fraction but this is not a problem with dynamic turned off.

After you enter 35'-6.5  AutoCAD returns 35'-6 1/2" now hit enter again and the space between the 6 and the fraction will force an enter thus dropping the fraction.

Again....with dynamic input turned off the fraction is never dropped.

Message 17 of 39
nestly2

Post a sample drawing containing at least one object that you've offset twice... once by entering the fractional distance, and then again using the stored value.

Message 18 of 39
jdavis417

This seems like something related to CMDECHO, MENUECHO, LASTPROMPT, etc. ?

Are you loading a custom acad.lsp or have other customization going on?  Are you selecting certain Dynamic Input options?  These are all just guesses...

It seems that when you enter (or spacebar) to accept a default value, AutoCAD is taking the space in the default entry display literally.  Mine doesn't do that...

...just trying to be helpful...

Message 19 of 39
jdavis417

@Yorx57 wrote:

If you look carefully at the lines that you posted - I believe everything is working proper, it's the way you are entering it:

There is where you entered in the 44 feet 6 and a half inches. Now, 4 lines down, you restarted the offset command, and if you look at the default:

It is shown it correctly. Then you typed in 44'-6 <spacebar>!!! This is where the problem is I believe. The <spacebar> is the same as hitting enter, which you can see on the next line:

AutoCAD has "seen" an "enter" and has continued the command.  It's asking you to select the object, but you are still typing in a distance, which of course it is going to ignore at this point.

I agree... this looks like what I'd expect from a manual entry... this is not what my machine displays upon pressing spacebar (or enter)!  It's very odd...

Here's what my computer returns:

Command: _offset
Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <44'-6 1/2">: 44'6.5

Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] <Exit>:

Command: OFFSET

Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <44'-6 1/2">:

Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] <Exit>:
Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] <Exit>: E

Message 20 of 39
jdavis417

@jdavis417 wrote:

Are you loading a custom acad.lsp or have other customization going on?

This would be the result of a LISP routine that's omitted a "\n" when prompting for user input?!?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost