Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015, Why oh Why?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
TrevN
1041 Views, 23 Replies

2015, Why oh Why?

So, having installed 2015 and starting it for the first time all I can say is what a pile of C**P!

Autodesk tell us the new dark colours are to lessen the eye strain. Well the contrast is nice, but when you can't see the icons because they are so much smaller and fuzzy, it doesn't really help with the eye strain does it!

So once again our subscription cash is put to great use!

Shame I have no control, otherwise I wouldn't be using ANY Autodesk products!

Rant over.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Patchy
in reply to: TrevN

It started in 2010, why oh why? buying expensive video card and can't even customize the colors I want.

C**ppy Interface.

Message 3 of 24
paul.petty

You can change the Color setup to Light colors under the display area of the options menu. I did and it looked a bit better for me.
Message 4 of 24
pendean

Windows resolution? Looks great on my PC running 1920x1080 in Win7, love the dark scheme.

OPTIONS command, DISPLAY Tab, Color Scheme: change it to the "light", looks like R2014 and lower to me.
Need more? Same Tab, click on the COLORS... button and help yourself.

Nothing new: you could always change the factory colors to anything you want before and through 2015. Maybe you just never had to before? I always did.
Message 5 of 24
nestly2

I'm just getting started with ACAD2015, so I'm still reserving judgement, but I'm not percieving that the icons are smaller, nor more fuzzy than they were in previous recent releases.  Can you post a full resolution screenshot that illustrates the issue?

I will say that I find the Ribbon text labels much more readable in the light scheme (2014) and many of the icons do look horrible on toolbars when using the "Light" color scheme.

AutoCAD2014 vs 2015.gif

Message 6 of 24
nestly2
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Nothing new: you could always change the factory colors to anything you want before and through 2015. Maybe you just never had to before? I always did.

@ pendean. I do not believe that you can manually change the elements that are changed within "Schemes"  such as the Ribbon background, Ribbon text color, toolbar background colors etc.  AFAIK, you have only a choice between "Light" and "Dark"

Message 7 of 24
justshutup

@TrevN wrote:

So, having installed 2015 and starting it for the first time all I can say is what a pile of C**P!

Autodesk tell us the new dark colours are to lessen the eye strain. Well the contrast is nice, but when you can't see the icons because they are so much smaller and fuzzy, it doesn't really help with the eye strain does it!

So once again our subscription cash is put to great use!

Shame I have no control, otherwise I wouldn't be using ANY Autodesk products!

Rant over.

Seems that you have ocular rectitus.

Message 8 of 24
pendean
in reply to: nestly2

Light Scheme looks like R2014: you want more than that? How did you do it in R2014 or lower then? I'm curious, I'd like to change R2014 or lower to look like R2015's dark scheme fully (not R2014's superficial dark scheme for example).

I run Windows 7 as a dark/black scheme, so to me it's nice to have AutoCAD follow suit finally.
Message 9 of 24
nestly2

Yes, 2015 "Light" scheme looks about the same as 2014.. but I read your message to suggest that "Scheme" elements could be refined within "Colors", which I believe incorrect. 

To that point, the icons have been resigned for a dark schemes. so they no longer have sufficient contrast on toolbars when using the 2015 "Light" scheme. Just to be clear, I'm sort of liking the 2015 dark scheme, but in doing so, Autodesk has absolutely made the "light" scheme less user friendly.

Message 10 of 24
pendean

Sorry but as always in AutoCAD, 2015 being no different, part of the display colors you change in AutoCAD like you always could, part you can change in Windows like you always could, and part you can't touch at all.

The OP disappeared so my guess is they are running an exceptionally high res display and hefty decided to bump up the text and or icon sizes in Eibdows (a recent post from someone else around here had the same issue a few months back in 2014) or the poor fellow is running Windows on a MAC with Retina display which has no fix at all.

Or they found a fix and moved on.
Message 11 of 24
TrevN

Alot of assumptions there pen!

On the same PC is 2014 that runs exactly as I want it and looks ok, (for AC). Settings have not been changed to run 2015.

I just don't think the icons are as good or as clear.

I'm sure I'll get use to them but it's just another change for changes sake by AD.

Message 12 of 24
rkmcswain

pendean wrote:

Nothing new....

Actually, there is at least one new color control.

2015 allows you to change the color of the paper space (Layout) background.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 24
pendean

I don't fear change, regardless of the reason behind it (which Autodesk posted why they did it as far as they as concerned, whether you agree or not). For me LIGHT Scheme in 2015 is pretty much like R14's stock scheme (keep in mind I run Windows as a black/dark scheme too):

ScreenShot001.png

Show us a screenshot, full size of the full screen please, maybe we can see something you don't: looks as clear in 2015 as it does in 2014/13/12/11 here running the monitor at a native setting it is designed to do.

Message 14 of 24
thistledownsname

Is there any way yet to get the higher contrast color scheme back?  I can deal with the light-on-light of 2015, but I prefer the light-on-dark of 2014 as it's easier on the eyes.  Dark-on-dark is just too hard to read.  Here's the comparison on my system.

COLOR SCHEMES.png

Message 15 of 24
Simon_Weel

Yes, them dark colours. I read some blogs about Autodesk doing a study about them. And the result is them dark theme. But I doubt of Autodesk REALLY investigated this. If they did, then why don't other programs, like Revit 2015, have the same dark theme? Another thing - as soon as you click something like Insert, the dialog displayed is ye' ole' Windows dialog. I.e. the light grey one. Now I have disabled the Windows Theme service, so Windows 7 looks like Windows 95. Maybe it looks different on systems with the Areo theme. Anyway, my point is: Autodesk should have gone to town to make this dark theme available on all programs and last but not least, throughout all programs. Now I have a system using all kinds of colours, which is definitely not a relief to the eyes.... So I probalby will switch to the light theme soon. Simon
Message 16 of 24
pendean
in reply to: Simon_Weel

One program at a time: the REVIT team is separate from the AutoCAD team, separate from the INVENTOR team, separate from the ... well, you get the picture. They're not as simplistically set up as you imagine.

I changed nothing in Win7 and I'm running a Theme, albeit a custom one for me. And AERO is still running. Perhaps, like others, something unique to you is limiting your options?

Yes, the Light Scheme option si there for just that reason: the Dark Scheme isn't for everyone. Choice, it's nice they still offer it.
Message 17 of 24

I totally agree that the dark on dark is way to hard to read. No contrast is hard to look at. Then if you change it to the light scheme its way to bright and the lack of contrast makes it look like you are looking through a low flying cloud. Good example of lake of contrast: osnaps look grayed out like the items you can't select or change. Autodesk, If you must change the color because you want to justify charging subscription fees, then at least leave the prior settings as a classic view dark and classic view light. Or even make it customizable.
Message 18 of 24
dnietubicz
in reply to: dnietubicz

"lack" of contrast not "lake", though is does look like looking through muddy lake water.
Message 19 of 24
mathewkol

There are too many "classic" items already. That's one of the things that cause AutoCAD products to suffer, I believe. There is so much code that is there simply for a feature's backward compatibility, no wonder it seems slow and buggy sometimes.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 20 of 24
nestly2
in reply to: mathewkol

Na... the code needed to keep a "classic" interface is insignificant compared to the code/memory usage needed to run the "new" stuff.

The bigger problem is that they keep piling on code for gimmicks that many users don't want/need anyway *coughcursorbadgescough* instead of using those resources to fix the problems that have long been complained about by users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost