Did you mean: 

2014 Will Not Plot DWG to PDF

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Obankenobi
3415 Views, 13 Replies

2014 Will Not Plot DWG to PDF

When I try to plot to PDF using the on-board DWG to PDF.pc3, I set up my plot (see attached), hit "OK," and the dialog box disappears. However, no PDF is produced. AutoCAD will say there is a job processing in the background - but it never finishes or produces a PDF. Has anything changed since 2011? I use this function several times a day... which is why I'm still using 2011. Thanks for any help
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi,

I can't find any attachment.

If the background process does not find an end, try to set the sysvar BACKGROUNDPLOT to 0 and start the plot again. What happens now?

Does that happen with a new drawing and just a few lines too?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for your response. Attached is how I set up my PDF plot. I started a plot, then set BACKGROUNDPLOT to 0. Tried to plot again and got the window "A plot job is already in progress..". Plot/Publish Details window shows there is a plot in progress - but it never finishes. I quit AutoCAD, started again and plotted a drawing with just three lines - this plotted instantly.

I have plotted files containing large, colored images and site plans in 2010 and 2011, but am getting hung up in 2014.

Message 4 of 14

Hi,

>> I started a plot, then set BACKGROUNDPLOT to 0

Please set first BACKGROUNDPLOT to 0 and then start the plot.

To the screenshot: I see that you plot using "window" and the red marker in the preview show that your window specifies a larger area then your defined pagesize can hold. If that is now a references image with higher resolution you might need a lot of memory (and time) to render from one resolution to another one.

>> plotted a drawing with just three lines - this plotted instantly.

Sounds like it's specific to that drawing and it's content or plot settings. If you can upload the drawing then please do it (using _ETRANSMIT), if not then reduce your drawingcontent piece-by-piece and look when it starts plotting without issues.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the input. I can still plot to PDF this drawing - and much larger ones - in 2011 without incident or delay. So I guess I'll keep using 2011 even though I've paid ~$3,000 in subscription fees for all the "upgrades."
Message 6 of 14

Hi,

>> So I guess I'll keep using 2011

Might be one option, the other one would be to find the source of the problem, but that needs answers to what was asked.

As I'm not sitting in front of your workstation I can only ask/suggest something and need feedback. Otherwise I can't help, sorry.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 14

I apologize for venting my frustration [at Autodesk] in your direction.  I assume that if it this was a memory or hardware limitation, I would not be able to plot to PDF in 2011, however, 2011 continues to work.  I'm thinking there is some new variable in 2014 that is hanging up the process.

Message 8 of 14

Hi,

>> I assume that if it this was a memory or hardware limitation

Not really, there are options (new ways in the software) that sometimes need more memory for the same functionality in a newer release. Sometimes to achive better quality, sometimes with other reasons.

And starting with a defect "DWG to PDF.pc3" (e.g. migrated from an older release) up to memory conflicts - the list of possible reasons is long.

Let's know if you want to continue here, if so: try the setting with the backgroundplot from above (report what happend) and let is know your system info + what servicepack your AutoCAD 2014 has installed.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 14
scot-65
in reply to: Obankenobi

Are you using the DWGtoPDF.pc3 file from 2011 in 2014?
Suggest finding a fresh dwg to pdf file that 2014 provides.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 10 of 14
Obankenobi
in reply to: scot-65

1. Alfred - haven't had time to follow up yet, but I will soon.  2. Scot - I loaded 2014 and selected the DWG to PDF .pc3 from the menu.  I assume this was built into 2014, but I could be wrong.

Message 11 of 14
pendean

Reset 2014 and see if your problem goes away: we all do it in 2014 all day long and no one is rolling back for a fix around here.
Message 12 of 14
Obankenobi
in reply to: pendean

I reset 2014 and PDF plotting works - and quickly.  So now I just need to get my customization back, but path to the 2014 pc3 files.  I did the built-in/auto migration routine first time around.

Message 13 of 14
WillieD33

I was having a similar problem. When using the DWG to PDF.pc3 file, no window would pop up so I could name and save the file. Instead I would see a plot progress bar flash across the screen and on the command line it would say:

Command: _PLOT Effective plotting area:  10.75 wide by 16.75 high
Effective plotting area:  10.39 wide by 13.69 high

Plotting viewport 2.

Plotting viewport 1.

However no PDF was produced.

To fix my problem:

I went to Application Menu (the Big "A" in the top left corner) Print>Manage Plotters, doubled clicked the DWG to PDF.pc3 file, in the Plotter Configuration Editor clicked the "Ports" tab and set it to "Plot to File".

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

"If the background process does not find an end, try to set the sysvar BACKGROUNDPLOT to 0 and start the plot again." Worked for me! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost