AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
MKH-VB
Message 1 of 8 (404 Views)

using toolbars now, moving to ribbon

404 Views, 7 Replies
05-22-2012 08:33 AM

I'm old school trying to learn new school!  I love using my custom toolbars and abbreviations from the keyboard for calling my autocad commands.  I am in the process of learning the uses of the ribbon.  I have always used the acad menu, then loaded "partial" custom menus.  Is this still possible using the ribbon?  Not sure how to do this.  I like keeping the custom stuff separate, because we have 5 users with a standard company menu and I like the idea of always going back to the original menu.  I suppose my question is how do I use the ribbon, and continue to use my partials also.  Thanks for any help you can give.

mkh
*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 2 of 8 (399 Views)

Re: using toolbars now, moving to ribbon

05-22-2012 09:54 AM in reply to: MKH-VB

Your going to want to read up on how to customize the CUI. There is a plethora of info out there to get you started. Here is a link to a site I found from a quick Google search. Basically the CUI replaces MNU, MNS and MNC files that were used in the old school days. The Help files actually explain the CUI in good detail as well.

From your description of what you have had and a willingness to embrace the ribbon, I would create a company CUI, and create a company ribbon tab to replace your old school pull-down menu. Then, add the content from your custom pull-downs. You then can load the company CUI as a partial file, and your custom components are available for all. The terminology and GUI for customizing the ribbon is different, but the concept is pretty much the same as what it was for pull downs and toolbars. Keep a back up of what you have now and dig in! You can use the transfer tab of the CUI editor to copy components to your new CUI from previous releases as well.

~ Mary

nestly
Message 3 of 8 (392 Views)

05-22-2012 11:56 AM in reply to: MKH-VB

A great way to learn about customizing the Ribbon/CUI are the online classes (videos) at Autodesk University  (registration is free andyour logon for the forums should work)

Some of the earlier classes from 2009 and 2010 specifically address the issue of migrating menus.

Mentor
SteveChestnut
Message 4 of 8 (353 Views)

05-25-2012 11:47 AM in reply to: MKH-VB

Hello,

We started adding our own menu tabs to the Ribbon in ACAD 2009.

We use an Enterprise CUI to hold all our customization.

My users now love the Ribbon.

I've attached a picture of our tabs.

Best Regards,

Steve

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 8 (345 Views)

05-25-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: MKH-VB

If you already have toolbars you can quickly turn them into Panels inside CUI command by simply right-clicking over a toolbar and selecting the option to make them into panels.

Then all you need to do is create your own TABs and drag these new panels up to the TAB of your choice.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Pro
nestly
Message 6 of 8 (335 Views)

05-25-2012 02:26 PM in reply to: SteveChestnut

SteveChestnut wrote:

Hello,

We started adding our own menu tabs to the Ribbon in ACAD 2009.

We use an Enterprise CUI to hold all our customization.

My users now love the Ribbon.

I've attached a picture of our tabs.

Best Regards,

Steve

Nicely done !   If they love it, you're doing it right.

Mentor
MKH-VB
Message 7 of 8 (334 Views)

05-25-2012 02:34 PM in reply to: SteveChestnut
Wow....thats awesome. Did you have to draw all of those icons?
mkh
Mentor
SteveChestnut
Message 8 of 8 (304 Views)

05-29-2012 05:30 AM in reply to: MKH-VB

Thanks for the kind words.

The icons aren't that hard.  I use Easy Icon Maker from www.icon-maker.com.

Save the icons as .BMPs for adding to the RIBBON.

Note that my icons are a variety of sizes.  I set RIBBONICONRESIZE to 0.

Good luck to you.

Regards,

Steve

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube