Contributor
dragonman101
Message 1 of 7 (1,241 Views)
Accepted Solution

problem with nearest snap to line

1241 Views, 6 Replies
11-21-2012 12:50 PM

Hey guys, I have autocad 2011.

I am trying to get my autocad to snap to the closest line.

I know it sounds basic but there's more to it lol.

I draw a pline at a 45 degree angle. I press enter and I click the starting point again (in this instance the bottom point) and I draw another line near the other one, the nearest snap indicator shows up, but when I type "2" (units in Meters) and press "enter" the line is drawn where the cursor is and not along the 45 degree angle.

My goal is to get the second line to follow the first line with a different length.

I know it is possible because at work, that's what happens (same version AutoCAD)

Do you know how to fix this?

P.s. The picture I posted is just before I press enter, and the line being drawn stays in the direction of the cursor and does not follow the second line like I want it to.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 7 (1,235 Views)

Re: problem with nearest snap to line

11-21-2012 01:27 PM in reply to: dragonman101

Hi,

if you look to this video I showed 2 situations, one (the first) without activating "extension" in the object-snap dialog ==> that does not show a track along the polyline and so it's not magnetic when setting a point.

The second part activated this option and well, along the line you see the track beeing magnetic for typing the distance and have a new line exaclty above the other.

Acad_OsnapLineExtension_2013_AN03.gif

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Contributor
dragonman101
Message 3 of 7 (1,232 Views)

11-21-2012 01:34 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for the reply.

However, that is not exactly what I am talking about.

What I want to have happen is when I draw the second line near the first line (before picking second point)
 and you see the "nearest" symbol appear on the first line, I want to be able to type in the amount (eg. 5) and press enter and have the second line I'm drawing move to go over the first line and continue with the amount I typed in.

For example: the first line is 3m and I want to draw a second line along the first line at 5m but I dont want to always be precisley on the first line when I draw the second one, just near the first one and the second one will know to move over on its own (when the "nearest" symol appears)

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 7 (1,228 Views)

11-21-2012 01:42 PM in reply to: dragonman101

Hi,

>> I dont want to always be precisley on the first line

That is the reason why I activated "Extension", so there is no need for NEA-objectsnap, no need to be anyway else type of "exact above", just drive your mouse/cursor close to the existing line ==> TRACK with the option of "Extension" will then be magnetic and so your destination can be specified by distance.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dragonman101
Message 5 of 7 (1,225 Views)

11-21-2012 01:54 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Yes but I still want to be able to see the "nearest" symbol

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 7 (1,217 Views)

11-21-2012 02:05 PM in reply to: dragonman101

Hi,

>> Yes but I still want to be able to see the "nearest" symbol

OK, if you want NEA to be active, turn on NEA, it does not make any difference (for me).

Acad_OsnapLineExtension_2013_AN11.gif

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dragonman101
Message 7 of 7 (1,212 Views)

11-21-2012 03:46 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks again for your replies.

I tried what you said and nothing changed. But then I took a look at what settings you had turned on at the bottom of your ACAD (polar tracking, ortho, dynamic input, etc.) and noticed that the dynamic input was turned off.

I turned that off and it worked. However I like seeing the the input menu so I went into the settings.

Turns out that what causes my dilema is an option called "enable dimension input where possible"
 in the dynamic input settings.

Thanks for your help. Would not have been able to figure it out without you.

cheers.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube