AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

donna86
Message 1 of 17 (2,420 Views)

inconsistancies when plotting to .pdf

2420 Views, 16 Replies
04-20-2012 08:50 AM

Please help I have checked every setting and have even  redrawn the file where the error occurs. We send out for prints to a printing company as we do not have a plotter so I need to fix this. When the file is converted to a pdf. the "sand hatch" seems to be printing at an inconsistant lineweight all within the same section. This error occurs when printing from a DWG to export to an Adobe PDF. The hatch is all on the same layer same settings and drawn in the same action period. it makes no sense why it would change when all the settings are exactly the same. I have also tried drawing them on a new layer i created matching the same layer settings and it still converts inconsistant in the same two areas. I have completely erased that section of drawing and redrew it  not changing out of any tools or settings and it just keeps doing it. I have also tried checking all the pdf settings and tried plotting it different ways and it wont dissapear. The only time it does not show up is when i export a window shot directly from model space. but i need to print it from paperspace and this is where the error occurs. It almost seems as though the export is not processing the drawing corretly as it is converting the drawing but i dont know how to fix it. I first noticed the problem when i recieved the prints back from the printer as you can clearly see the hatch appears thicker and darker in two sections along the same hatch. I then looked at the pdf and it appeared fine, but as i zoomed in on the pdf up to 300% that is when you notice the change. PLEASE HELP!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 17 (2,405 Views)

Re: inconsistancies when plotting to .pdf

04-20-2012 01:04 PM in reply to: donna86

Modelspace or paperspace?

use a plot style table? if yes, does the hatch pattern do that with NONE selected?

what are the plot style table settings for the hatch?

Do you have line overwrite selected in the PDF?

what are you using for a PDF viewer? Can you share a PDF with this problem? If you can see the problem in the PDF, can you also print it inhouse to a smaller printer and have it replicated? Even if you zoom in and print the view?

Attached is a PDF with that hatch from 2011: I don't see any variations, do you?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
michele336
Message 3 of 17 (2,304 Views)

07-24-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: donna86

I am having inconsistent sand hatch as well. I am using AutoCAD 2013 and use Color Tables to plot. In the attached file you will notice the three different variations DWG to PDF gave me on hatch that is supposed to be identical. The lightest one is correct.

The hatch is all on the same layer, the same color, and none of it has any override controls added. I went directly from hatching one area to the next and this is what I got when I used DWG to PDF.

(The attached file is a JPG because I edited the PDF in Photoshop to add the red circles and then saved as JPG. The hatch irregularities are NOT changed by the PDF to JPG conversion.)

Distinguished Contributor
pkolarik
Message 4 of 17 (2,292 Views)

07-25-2012 06:23 AM in reply to: donna86

wow, I haven't seen reports of the sand hatch pattern doing this in several years now. We had that issue back in.... oh, maybe the 2005 version of the software I think? It may have been the 2000i version...

Unfortunately, I think all we were able to do was stop using that hatch pattern until a version of the software came along where it worked.

We've been using it without issue ever since. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Contributor
michele336
Message 5 of 17 (2,289 Views)

07-25-2012 07:30 AM in reply to: donna86

What is the best way to contact Autodesk to let them know that there is a problem in the latest version of the software regarding the "DWG to PDF" and inconsistent sand hatch? I can't really just sit around and wait in hopes that they will get this fixed in release 2014 (I just signed up for subscription). They especially won't get it fixed if they don't know there is a problem.

Also, is there any "work around" (other than never using sand hatch) you recommend while I am waiting for AutoCAD 2014?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 17 (2,286 Views)

07-25-2012 09:34 AM in reply to: michele336

Hi,

can you upload the drawing, at least reduced to the entities that I can reproduce that problem?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Contributor
michele336
Message 7 of 17 (2,284 Views)

Re: inconsistencies when plotting to .pdf

07-25-2012 11:20 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Here is the AutoCAD 2013 DWG file reduced as much as I thought appropriate. FYI, I did test this reduced file for sand plotting errors, and it gave me the exact same (poor) results as the JPG I attached earlier.

I tried attaching the CTB file I use to plot, but was told it was an invalid extension and therefore could not be attached. The key error is with Color 8 which should be set to: black, 100% screening, and 0.05mm thick. Let me know if you need to know the other pen settings.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 17 (2,281 Views)

07-25-2012 11:27 AM in reply to: michele336

Hi,

>> but was told it was an invalid extension and therefore could not be attached

You always have the option to ZIP a file, because ZIP-files are accepted here to be uploaded.

And it seems to be a piece of the puzzle as (not using the ctb) I get the hatch presented in constant lineweights for all hatches with the same pattern. See the attachment therefor.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 9 of 17 (2,278 Views)

07-25-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: michele336

Hi,

ok, just did the test to create a CTB with the settings for color 8 as you described .... and .... ok, the problem araises, I can see the different lineweights for the points in the different hatches.

Not that I say that this result is clear for me (that the hatch shows up with different lineweights) but I have a question to the settings globally:

• within the CTB you set a lineweight for color 8
  • within the plot-dialog you set to "plot with lineweights"

These both settings are contradicting (hope the word here is correct for that). Setting "use lineweights from drawing" + "using lineweigths by CTB" does not make sense.

And further tests show: if you only activate one of those two options the lineweight for the hatches are ok.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
michele336
Message 10 of 17 (2,276 Views)

07-25-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I tried unselecting "plot with lineweights" from the plot dialog box and lost all of my line weights for the drawing. Everything printed very light (about 0.1mm). That isn't what I want either. The "LINE" line weights were all correct, with some lines being thick and some being thin. It was just that sand hatch that was a problem. I will try attaching the DWG and CTB in a ZIP.

Should I be using a different method for setting lineweights other than using a plot CTB file? I have worked this way for years, but I am at a point of change with moving to the 2013 version, so I can make changes if needed.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.