AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
steveturp
Message 1 of 9 (3,091 Views)

how to cut out letters for signs

3091 Views, 8 Replies
04-09-2011 08:29 PM

Hi,

I'm learning autocad to help a friend with his metal art business. He gets a lot of requests for signs and I've been tracing the letters by hand using the spline command because that's how we usually do the artwork. I'm trying to figure out how to make the letters in the signs so they are ready to cut out. I'm using Autocad Mechanical 2011 and we use Torchmate software for his plasma cutter. When we make the designs we turn all the lines into polylines so the torchmate software will be able to cut it but I can't figure out a way to do the letters without tracing each one. The signs we're starting to make are all different with different fonts and shapes so I need a way to just add the letters to the design and have them ready to send right to the torchmate software to cut out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 2 of 9 (3,063 Views)

Re: how to cut out letters for signs

04-10-2011 04:07 AM in reply to: steveturp

There is an express tool that may help, Text Explode "txtexp" you will need to do some clean up afterwards but it may help.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Contributor
steveturp
Message 3 of 9 (3,054 Views)

04-10-2011 08:35 AM in reply to: steveturp

That page seems to be just about maps and a search for "text explode" didn't help. I did install the express tools so I'll start looking to see what I can find, at least I have a starting point.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I find anything, hopefully other people can use what I find, but I'd still love some more help.

I was a CNC programmer until about 10 years ago when I got hurt and the little bit of Autocad I used then wasn't as detailed as it is now. I used mostly Mastercam for years so I've got the basics and it's coming back to me how to use the new Autocad since there're still quite similar. I was self taught back when I used these programs then and I'm doing the same now but I'm remembering old uses as well as finding a lot of new things I can do but it's still frustrating when I can't figure something out. I'll keep looking and checking back here for more replies. Thanks again.

Steve

Mentor
neaton
Message 4 of 9 (3,049 Views)

04-10-2011 09:01 AM in reply to: steveturp

The Express Tool TXTEXP is what you want. With Express Tools loaded, turn on the menu bar (MENUBAR 1) to access the Express Tools help menu to read more about it. Regular AutoCAD help doesn't inlcude help for Express Tools.

To use it just type TXTEXP and select the text you want exploded.

Nancy

steveturp wrote:

That page seems to be just about maps and a search for "text explode" didn't help. I did install the express tools so I'll start looking to see what I can find, at least I have a starting point.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I find anything, hopefully other people can use what I find, but I'd still love some more help.

I was a CNC programmer until about 10 years ago when I got hurt and the little bit of Autocad I used then wasn't as detailed as it is now. I used mostly Mastercam for years so I've got the basics and it's coming back to me how to use the new Autocad since there're still quite similar. I was self taught back when I used these programs then and I'm doing the same now but I'm remembering old uses as well as finding a lot of new things I can do but it's still frustrating when I can't figure something out. I'll keep looking and checking back here for more replies. Thanks again.

Steve

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 5 of 9 (3,039 Views)

04-10-2011 12:40 PM in reply to: steveturp

steveturp wrote:

Steve

That web link is to my blog on AutoCAD MAP3D and part of my signature. What you want is the express tool txtexp that is either in the menu for the express tools or on the ribbon, in the text panel of the Express tab.

TextExplode.png

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 6 of 9 (3,028 Views)

04-10-2011 03:51 PM in reply to: Murph

from the torchmate site

Creating Shapes

• Draw it in the Torchmate CAD Module.
  • Import it as a dxf file from any of approximately 45 different CAD/drawing programs, including AutoCad, DesignCad, etc.  Competing programs only recognize a handful of other file formats.
  • Scan a hand-drawn or printed shape, and convert it in seconds in the Torchmate CAD Module for cutting.
  • Import clip art shapes and quickly prepare them for cutting.  Clip art is generally non-proprietary, and can be used for any desired purpose without the need for permission.

Shapes imported from other programs often have small breaks or overlapping lines.  The CAD Module's "Post-Analysis" feature invisibly corrects these defects during the importation process

it appears as the software could take a scanned plot of  a drawing or possibly plotted to jpg and convert it to drive the cutter.  Have you tried that?  Seems as though it would beat explosions.

Distinguished Contributor
SEANT61
Message 7 of 9 (3,007 Views)

04-11-2011 01:59 AM in reply to: steveturp

Another option:

Here is a utility (Beta version) for inserting text based geometry directly into AutoCAD 2007+. All curves in the geometry are spline based; though remain compatible with Piecewise Cubic Bezier curves.

Not all Font definitions are compatible with the “As Region” option.

This is essentially an open source project

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=31435.0

(You will need to sign up as a member to view the link)

To load:

Command: Netload

Browse for Text2Geom.dll

To run command:

Command: t2g

Disclaimer:

As with any beta software, the user should exercise sensible caution.

THE AUTHOR PROVIDES THIS PROGRAM "AS IS" AND WITH ALL FAULTS.

THE AUTHOR SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF

MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE. THE AUTHOR

DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE OPERATION OF THE PROGRAM WILL BE

UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE.

Contributor
steveturp
Message 8 of 9 (2,992 Views)

04-11-2011 05:37 AM in reply to: steveturp

Thanks!!

That did it for me. I have to do a little trimming and joining but they come out perfect. I tried it with a couple different fonts and found some more fonts to download so I should have no problems.

Thanks again,

Steve

natz.anisha213
Message 9 of 9 (217 Views)

07-19-2014 03:21 AM in reply to: steveturp

Why dont you try this,

enter the text,

make sure the text width(text width factor) is 0.999 or 1.111 but NOT 1.0

draw a random line on the sheet

enter the command "wmfout", save the wmf, select the objects(your text you already input, and the line)

erase everything onthe screen

type the command "wmfin" select the insertion point, use scale factor as 1(for bothe x& y axis), and set the angle of rotation to 0

use the command "zoom" "all" and scale your text accordingly

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.