Did you mean: 

dynamic block parameters and actions for a line connected to a circle/dot

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Yunlena
2275 Views, 10 Replies

dynamic block parameters and actions for a line connected to a circle/dot

Hi all!

I am trying to make a dynamic block below. I need the "end" of the line to be "moveable". I've tried the point parameter and the stretch action with no luck...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

kf.jpg

Best,
Christina
-------
Map 3D 2019 | Civil 3D 2019
Windows 10 | Lenovo P50S
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
steve216586
in reply to: Yunlena

Try a polar stretch

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steve216586

Yep that will do it.

Realize that you can Stretch and Rotate or just Stretch or Rotate entities when using the Polar Action.

That particular Action requires two Enters to end the Command: One to pick items for the Stretch Selection set and the other to pick items for the Rotation Selection set.

Always post a Dynamic Block instead of a picture. It is easier to help when there is something to work with.

And the Dynamic Block Forum is linked in my signature.

Message 4 of 11
steve216586
in reply to: Charles_Shade

"That particular Action requires two Enters to end the Command: One to pick items for the Stretch Selection set and the other to pick items for the Rotation Selection set."

Not necessary. See attached balloon block. I can rotate the arrowhead and lengthen with no "enters". Maybe I misunderstood.

Message 5 of 11
Charles_Shade

The Polar Action itself. Notice if you click on it in the Properties window you will see a Stretch and a Rotation Selection set.

When a Polar Action is applied outside of a Parameter Set you must go thru these two steps to end the Command. If not you will get what you want in the Stretch Set but not the Rotation set. I wanted to point that out because it is easy to miss this when working with a Polar Action; especially when you want to remove something from the Selection Set(s).

The OP may also want the Text to remain horizontal and not rotate with the line. The Parameter Set - Polar Stretch will accomplish this as well.

If you look at the Properties of each of these Actions in the Palette (Polar Stretch from the Actions Tab and Polar Stretch from the Parameter Sets Tab) you will see that the Actions are different form one another and therefore perform differently.

Message 6 of 11
steve216586

More confused now than when I made the balloon. Cheesh! I read your reply five times, very slowly, and I still comprehend it as well as if it were written in Greek. (I don't know Greek)

Message 7 of 11
Charles_Shade

I try my best. Smiley Very Happy

Did you look at your DynBlk I reposted? I added two more examples there.

The Polar Action has foiled me on a number of occasions. Sometimes it does what I expect sometimes not.

I'm with you that it is a bit of a head scratcher.

Message 8 of 11
steve216586

I see the light. I think I like the way you built the test. I often have to move my balloons because of a dimension and then have to "re-point" the arrow head to the object. Your test block with the text which stays horizontal would eliminate the need for that extra step.

Message 9 of 11
Charles_Shade

It is amazing how many ways the cat can be skinned.

Earlier today I looked at a DynBlk where the OP was using multipliers of positive and negative numbers to get a Stretch to move in opposite directions. Had not seen that before.

Message 10 of 11
hammonj7
in reply to: Yunlena

Glad I stumbled onto this exchange.  I was having a hard time with a dynamic block and polar stretching.  In release 2013, the "polar stretch parameter set" polar action doesn't include an option for rotation in the properties window.  The only way to get the rotation option is to first add a polar parameter THEN add the polar stretch action.  

Anyway, thanks for setting me on the right track!

Message 11 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hammonj7

Glad to know you know Greek. Smiley Wink

It can be daunting at times and seemingly confusing when something does not behave as expected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost