AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

rakeshthp
Message 1 of 8 (175 Views)

dxf developers' mailing list or forum

175 Views, 7 Replies
05-03-2013 03:01 AM

Hello,

Please pardon me for writing in to the wrong place. Can anyone let me know where can I find DXF developer's forum list? 

Thanks in advance

Valued Mentor
bgingerich
Message 2 of 8 (164 Views)

Re: dxf developers' mailing list or forum

05-03-2013 05:25 AM in reply to: rakeshthp

AFAIK there is no DXF specific forum, however people in the Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization forum would be able to help.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 8 (162 Views)

05-03-2013 05:27 AM in reply to: rakeshthp
What is it you wish to discuss or develop? That may help others guide you.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
rakeshthp
Message 4 of 8 (149 Views)

05-03-2013 08:58 AM in reply to: pendean

I am trying to design and develop a DXF importer using C++. I have gone through the DXF references starting from version 2000 onwards. There are four things which have put the development on hold for me right now. 

1) Handles for each entity. Are they really important? If so, then how are they related to other entities?

2) Entities such as ARC, POLYLINE, TEXT etc occurs in BLOCKS section and in ENTITIES section. What difference does these two sections make? Why not all the entities are placed in ENTITIES section? 

3) What is INSERT entity? How does this work? Does it have any visualization (as it contains insertion point, scale and rotation factors)? If so, how is it represented graphically? As a point (as it contains only one point Smile | :) )?

4) I see that some points are in OCS and some are in WCS. How do I convert OCS to WCS? For this point I did some google research and didn't get much help, as most of them use auto-lisp for this and I am using C++.

Kindly learned people guide me, by clarifying these doubts.

Thanks in advance

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 8 (135 Views)

05-03-2013 10:54 AM in reply to: rakeshthp
I guess you could join and pay for membership to the Autodesk Developer Network to get that kind of help direct from Autodesk. You have +$5,000 to spend?
Otherwise the advise from the other person that also replied may be the cheaper option.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 8 (132 Views)

05-03-2013 11:33 AM in reply to: rakeshthp

Hi,

>> 1) Handles for each entity. Are they really important?

Handles are like database ID's, so yes, they are important as sometimes objects are referenced one to the other (some kind of associative geometry like dimensions, hatches, ...) ==> therefor the handle is really important.

There exist old DXF-versions (I think <= 12) that might not necessarily need them in the DXF, but it's unusual ... and these DXF files sometimes creates faults with current products.

>> 2) Entities such as ARC, POLYLINE, TEXT etc occurs in BLOCKS section and in ENTITIES section.

>> What difference does these two sections make

One section is what you draw (called modelspace, in DXF it's the entities section), and entities can also exist in symbols (block-definitions). So if you want to create a symbol called WHEEL you will have the geometry for drawing the wheel in the block-section for the blockdefinition WHEEL .... and then this symbol might be inserted in the modelspace ==> called INSERT

>> 3) What is INSERT entity? How does this work?

It's a block or symbol that is used to structure drawings. E.g. to have 4 equal wheels on a drawing of a car you don't need to draw them 4 times, you just create it once, make a block-definition and then you INSERT this block 4 times in the modelspace. Next advantage: if you need another rim ==> you modify just one time the blockdefintion to draw a new rim, save the blockdefinition and all occurances of the insertion of block WHEEL are updated.

>> How do I convert OCS to WCS?

Within AutoCAD you have these functions ready in all API's, otherwise you'll have to use geometry-algorythms for transfering points with matrix-definitions.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
rakeshthp
Message 7 of 8 (118 Views)

05-03-2013 09:17 PM in reply to: rakeshthp

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your quick reply. Let me explain you what I understood. We define the geometry of an entity (say wheel in your example) in the BLOCKS section. And this entity is inserted wherever required in the ENTITIES section using INSERT entity. Am I right? If so, then how does it associate to the block defined in BLOCK section? Using Handle or using block name? 

Regarding the conversion of OCS to WCS, I need the algorithm or procedure how it should be done. 

Also, can you just explain me about DIMENSION please?

Thanks once again.

Regards

Rakesh Patil

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8 (110 Views)

05-03-2013 11:25 PM in reply to: rakeshthp

Hi,

>> Also, can you just explain me about DIMENSION please?

Have you found the DXF-description? I can't describe now every single entity and it's representation in DXF. Check >>>that<<<.

>> Am I right? If so, then how does it associate to the block defined in BLOCK section?

>> Using Handle or using block name?

Blockname ... but at least look into the DXF description.

If you don't know how an entity is saved in the DXF then create such an entity in AutoCAD and save the drawing as DXF.

If you have no license then download a 30day testversion. But I guess you have one, because you need to test your DXF's if they are valid at all.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube