AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Hunyadi M.
Message 1 of 31 (3,219 Views)

- (dash) key goes to menu

3219 Views, 30 Replies
05-28-2010 07:10 AM
The - (dash) key, both on keyboard and numpad, sometime opens the window
menu (maximize, minimize, close...).
This occurs only since I've switched to 2011 from 2010 with the same cui.
Can someone please help me revert it back to normal "minus" key?
*Jason Piercey
Message 2 of 31 (3,216 Views)

Re: - (dash) key goes to menu

05-28-2010 07:16 AM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.
You know, I've noticed this as well but can't make it happen
at will. At first I thought it was my imagination but it's
happened too many times now.

"Hunyadi M." wrote in message news:6399351@discussion.autodesk.com...
The - (dash) key, both on keyboard and numpad, sometime opens the window
menu (maximize, minimize, close...).
This occurs only since I've switched to 2011 from 2010 with the same cui.
Can someone please help me revert it back to normal "minus" key?
*Hunyadi M.
Message 3 of 31 (3,216 Views)

05-28-2010 07:18 AM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.
Thank for your answer, I thought I was going crazy.
I noticed that the first time the "-" key opens the menu I hit 3 times
ESC, and "-" appears at the command line. After that, it seems to work,
until I open a new drawing (or maybe something else also, but I don't
know).
bgust
Message 4 of 31 (3,216 Views)

06-02-2010 10:04 PM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.
I have the same problem. It seem to happen randomly and is very annoying. Would be nice if anyone(preferentially Autodesk) had a solution.
Reimercad
Message 5 of 31 (3,203 Views)

06-08-2010 01:47 AM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.

I've got the same problem here. Every time a drawing is opend the menu is shown after pressing the dash-key for the first time. When I hit Escape three times I can continue.

Reimer

Contributor
DeathTiger
Message 6 of 31 (3,158 Views)

06-14-2010 09:26 PM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.

I've noticed this aswell and tried several things (setting the hyphen key as a macro, short-cut key, etc...).

I ended up creating a AutoHotkey macro that sends the escape key to the menu each time it appears.

It's definitely a bug/glitch within AutoCAD that I cannot reproduce at will, just at the most crucial times...

SAAI2006
Message 7 of 31 (2,997 Views)

07-21-2010 09:42 PM in reply to: *Hunyadi M.

Same problem here ... but I think I figured out a workaround ... at least on my system.

When the menubar variable is set to "1", I have the issue ... when it's set to "0", I don't have the issue.

Only downside with that is you don't have access to the classic menus like file, edit, etc.

I hope this could help anyone of you ... and I hope that this is the source of the problem so that Autodesk can figure out how to fix this.

jean-sebastien.quesnel
Message 8 of 31 (2,681 Views)

10-15-2010 11:05 AM in reply to: SAAI2006

Do we have to feel happy when we have the same problems?  We live in a strange world that makes us accept the unacceptable.

Going through the posts, I saw that you came to the same conclusions.  We can reproduce this behavior at will and we don't know why sometimes it does work normally.

I will make a request through subscription to find out if someone at Autodesk as a fix, not a workaround, for this problem.:smileymad:

SAAI2006
Message 9 of 31 (2,676 Views)

10-15-2010 11:26 AM in reply to: jean-sebastien.quesnel

I have been exchanging emails with Autodesk for the past 3 months on this issue, and we still haven't been able to fix the problem (other than the changing the menubar variable).

Here are something else I've noticed ::

- Opening a drawing thru windows explorer will not cause the problem if AutoCAD is NOT already running (in other words if you start AutoCAD by double-clicking a dwg file);

- Opening a drawing thru windows explorer will cause the problem if AutoCAD is already running (or else if you start AutoCAD by the desktop or start menu shortcut, closing the default blank drawing and opening a existing file).

From my understanding, and from what the Autodesk technician was leading towards, the problem may be related to Microsoft .Net frameworks, hence the difficulty from Autodesk to isolate and solve the problem.

Contributor
Gary_K
Message 10 of 31 (2,577 Views)

11-02-2010 03:04 PM in reply to: SAAI2006

Thank you SAAI2006.

I've been having a frustrating time with 2011 because of this issue. I'm glad I searched. Setting MENUBAR to "0", to me, is a fantastic workaround.

Gary

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube