Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can Edit blocknames outside the drawing environment ?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
hmarji
365 Views, 11 Replies

can Edit blocknames outside the drawing environment ?

I have a file that has about 500 blocknames, those blocks are not saved on my hard drive they only exist inside that one big drawing, my issue is that i need to edit names but outside autocad (without opening the mother drawing )...  anyone ? 

thanks in advanced, 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dmfrazier
in reply to: hmarji

You could DXFOut the drawing, edit the DXF file, and then DXFIn.  (But perhaps this doesn't qualify, since you would have to open the dwg.)

Otherwise, I think that would require custom programming.  You could try posting here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/bd-p/130

Just curious - why do you need to do this without opening the drawing?

Message 3 of 12
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dmfrazier

Any way to do so thru ADCENTER?

Message 4 of 12
dmfrazier
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Good thought, but I think the answer is "no".

As far as I can tell, you can edit blocks in an unopened dwg via ADC (which actually opens the file while you're in the Block Editor), but you cannot rename the blocks.

Message 5 of 12
Charles_Shade

I did try and you are right but you can do a Save Block As while in the BE and change them up that way.

Unfortunatley now you have twice the Blocks

Message 6 of 12
dmfrazier

And, even though it may not seem like it, doing this still involves opening the dwg.

Message 7 of 12
Charles_Shade

Doh! Head Slap. I did have the Drawing open to do that. Thanks for seeing the obvious

Even if you navigate to a Drawing File in Adcenter and just choose the Block it opens the Drawing.

I too am interested in why the DWG is not to be opened.

Message 8 of 12
dgorsman

Probably so somebody doesn't need an AutoCAD license to do the work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 12
jggerth1
in reply to: dgorsman

license issue?  maybe --  the reality is that it's impossible to edit the content of a file without somehow opening the file for reading and writing. 

So if the question is how to rename blocks in drawing A without opening drawing A in Acad, then there are a couple of possible options -- ObjectDBX programming would be the most reliable, but still requires an Acad license.

An alternative would be to install the free Draftsight program, opent he dwg file with that application and rename the blocks there.  that would let a non-skilled person do the job without using up a valuable autoCAD license.

If running a script after hours or over lunch would suffice, then that's the simplest route to take.

Message 10 of 12
hmarji

the thing is that I wanna change the name of so many blocks, the only way that I know is using REN command, but it's too unpractical because I have to scroll back to the new block name after everytime I hit "Rename to:" . I personally dont like the way REN behave and have had it dealing with it.

P.S. to all those who replied I really appriciate your enlightment, help and efforts that you had to offer. you guys ROCK !!! 🙂 

Message 11 of 12
hmarji
in reply to: jggerth1

JGerth,
Thank for the replay, but the license is not the issue here, I remember starting to read about ObjectDBX about a month ago, there is some training including in the Acad 2011-12 product help, do you have a better tutorials ? coz i think they are kind of brief ??
thanks again !! 🙂
Message 12 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I know is using REN command, but it's too unpractical because I have to scroll back

Try to enter the command _-RENAME (including underline and dash)... So as long as you know the names of the blockdefinitions to rename you can write a simple script (e.g. using Excel). Starting then the script renames all blockdef's with one click 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost