AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 11 of 14 (146 Views)

Re: 'cad technicians' revolt

01-26-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: akunkinga

Copy/Paste has been around for ever, started outside of CAD and continues today everywhere.  Sign of the times I'm afraid: everyone's too busy trying not to get laid-off and doing 3-other-people's workload for less money that there is no incentive to give a rat's... well, you know.

It's all about the final printed product getting stamped, approved, and kicked over to someone else to deal with... . No one cares about the mess left behind.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Mentor
gjrcmb
Message 12 of 14 (140 Views)

01-26-2012 12:58 PM in reply to: pendean

As a roadway design engineer over the last 25 years, I have seen the production environment go through the following transitions:

* All design and plan set production by hand drafting.
* All design by hand, and then drawn by drafts people using computer aided drafting.
* All design done by computer aided design, and plans detailed by computer aided drafting.

In my experience, during this transition there has been resistance to change and a blurring of tasks completed by engineers and engineering technicians.  Engineers in the midst of using computer aided design customarily produce graphics that will be represented in the finished plan set, while the finishing details may be completed by technicians.  However, in a lot of instances the engineer needs to get involved in the drafting process in order to get the job done on time.  Likewise, sometimes the technicians need to get involved in the design process.  While it may be inefficient from a dollar standpoint for engineers to do some of the drafting, sometimes it is a necessity due to lack of staff and tight schedules.

So to me the bottom line is not a question of who has access to CAD, and what their job title and responsibilities are, but whether they are working as a team, following established CAD Standards, and producing a quality product both electronically as well as a printed.  Anyone that is modifying CAD drawings must be held to the CAD Standards, no matter how painful the process.  All project staff, particularly project engineers and managers, should have a vested interest in adherence to CAD Standards as this leads to more efficient design and plan production, which in turn facilitates a higher likelihood of completing projects on schedule and within budget.  In addition, if your contract includes providing electronic files as a deliverable then the CAD files need to reflect the same sort of quality the printed plan set does.  If engineers and management are not following through with this process then they are potentially affecting the profitability of the firm and the opinion of the clients.

*Expert Elite*
CelticDesignServices
Message 13 of 14 (130 Views)

01-26-2012 01:53 PM in reply to: akunkinga

Been there, done that!

I started at a place back in 2003 that had basically zero control over their drawings, where they were stored, who edited them, etc. it was a total mess...to the point where if they had a part that was used in two different machines, instead of reusing the one that was already created, they would start from scratch and make a completely new model (yes, they didn't even bother to do a "save as' and save themselves time and effort), new drawing, new assembly, etc.

Anyways, I was brought in to fix this mess and set/enforce the standards, in this case ANSI Y14.5.

Needless to say, I was not too well liked because I was forcing them to change their old habits.

You need some sort of control. Management seems to be absent or they just don't care. That was a good portion of my situation, I was directed to enforce standards but had no backup from management and once that was a "known", they went right back to the messed up way of their past.

I'd be more than happy to go back to the drawing board and be able to weed out all the neardowells in this field that merely type on the keyboard and click a mouse button with no regard to quality.

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 14 of 14 (89 Views)

01-27-2012 09:31 AM in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Amen.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube