AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

david.whalley
Message 1 of 5 (5,183 Views)

Xref layer linetypes and colours not updating

5183 Views, 4 Replies
01-07-2010 06:43 AM
When I change the linetypes and colours of a layer in a child drawing and then reload it in a parent drawing the changes are not reflected in the parent drawing.

VISRETAIN is set to 1 in the parent drawing as there are layers in the child drawing that need to be frozen off in the parent drawing.

Is there a command or variable that will allow the changed linetypes and colours to propagate to the parent drawing without loosing the layers frozen/thaw status, which results from setting VISRETAIN to 0.

thanks for any help.
Valued Contributor
steve-NEO
Message 2 of 5 (5,181 Views)

Re: Xref layer linetypes and colours not updating

01-07-2010 07:11 AM in reply to: david.whalley
Not sure if this helps but......

When ever the issue of colors/linetype/and LTscale, I've gone over the child drawing and verified it is what I want it to be (picking out what is wrong and verifing), this is time consuming and tedious but I've found that it works sometimes, the other thing I do to the parent drawing is purge out the old with -purge and regen.

Have a wonderful day,

Steve
*fieldguy
Message 3 of 5 (5,181 Views)

01-07-2010 07:35 AM in reply to: david.whalley
I noticed this yesterday. It is a PITA. The only answer I have is detach
and re-attach.
Valued Mentor
Randy_Culp
Message 4 of 5 (5,181 Views)

01-07-2010 02:01 PM in reply to: david.whalley
That's the way VISRETAIN is designed to work; layer settings are retained in the target drawing regardless of settings in the source file. Setting VISRETAIN to 0 means the source drawing layer settings will mimic the settings in the source file.

To reset to source file settings, UNLOAD the xref, set visretain to 0 (off) RELOAD the xref (layer settings will revert to source file) then reset VISRETAIN.
*fieldguy
Message 5 of 5 (5,180 Views)

01-07-2010 02:04 PM in reply to: david.whalley
Doh! Thanks.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube