AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
LSakac
Message 1 of 9 (22,261 Views)

Xref has multiple references. Not detached.

22261 Views, 8 Replies
09-16-2010 01:41 AM

Maybe stupid question, but anyway:

In 2 layouts of 2.dwg I xref 1.dwg. Now I'm not able to detach it: Xref 1 has multiple references. Not detached.

Is there any way how to detach and not to delete one of the layouts?

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 9 (22,243 Views)

Re: Xref has multiple references. Not detached.

09-16-2010 04:54 AM in reply to: LSakac

I believe the xrefs are in paperspace.  Deleted it from both layouts, and then you should be able to detach it.

Active Contributor
ArniVidar
Message 3 of 9 (22,179 Views)

09-19-2010 09:41 AM in reply to: LSakac

As far as I've been able to gather, it's simply impossible to detach an XREF which has multiple instances in paperspace. You need to manually delete (or use QSELECT to select them all at once and then delete) each instance of the XREF before you can detach it.

Active Contributor
mark100177
Message 4 of 9 (20,429 Views)

11-02-2011 09:46 AM in reply to: nestly

Thank you!!!  I have a drawing that I received in which I'm binding/inserting all of its attachments, though two xrefs were not loading because I did not receive the files.  When it came down to one of the two xrefs in which the files could not be found, it would not refuse to let me detach it.  AutoCAD would just reply with "has multiple references. Not detached." 

Luckily, I read your post and checked paperspace.  The path of the xref was straight across the screen, so I deleted it and I was then able to detach the xref.

Thanks,

Mark

Active Contributor
ArniVidar
Message 5 of 9 (20,430 Views)

11-02-2011 09:49 AM in reply to: mark100177

Yeah, those missing XREFs can be a real **** to find sometimes. Glad to see you found the text line, and one must be happy that at least it's really that simple... delete the text and it's gone :smileyhappy:

saengland
Message 6 of 9 (7,198 Views)

02-04-2014 07:42 AM in reply to: LSakac

Try '-Purge' and then 'R'; problem resolved.

eeakin
Message 7 of 9 (2,183 Views)

04-24-2014 08:12 AM in reply to: LSakac

If you have multiple sheet layouts within the same drawing (or even one layout), there are xRef(s) attached to the drawing file that cannot be seen anywhere within any of the layouts and the xRefs cannot be detached, try this or a derivative of:

Click QuickSelect on the Properties pallette, or type "QSELECT"

For Object type select "External Reference"

For Properties select "Name"

If you know the exact name of the xRef you are trying detach set the Operator to "= Equals" and type the name for Value

If you don't know the exact name(s) of your xRef(s) and can afford to rid the entire layout of all xRefs then set the Operator to "Select All" and select OK

At this point your Properties pallette should display a selection of one or numerous xRefs - "External Reference (X)" where X is the number of selections

Now hit your Delete key or use the Erase command

You will need to do this for every layout within the drawing file

Once you have completed this for all layouts, you should be able to then purge the drawing file and detach all unwanted xRefs

Distinguished Contributor
abubakars
Message 8 of 9 (2,166 Views)

04-24-2014 09:01 PM in reply to: eeakin
Spoiler
You will need to do this for every layout within the drawing file

if any drawing contains multiple layouts and the drawing is heavy then moving into each layout to select and delete them would be a burden

The alternate way would be use the LayoutManager which is a free application available to download from Autodesk Exchange Apps,

One can select all the layouts and execute the command "Block-Delete" giving  the xref name would delete the xref from all layouts, then go for detaching the xref will work.

LOM_Block Delete.JPG

eeakin
Message 9 of 9 (2,140 Views)

04-25-2014 06:32 AM in reply to: abubakars

Nice abubakars!  I hadn't seen this tool before now.  Much easier!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube