AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

TOMLANG7190
Message 1 of 6 (9,661 Views)

Xref editing problems--layer freeze

9661 Views, 5 Replies
11-04-2011 10:30 AM

I'm having a hard time to get my xref edits to "stick."  In drawings to be attached, I make sure VISRETAIN is set "1."  I make my edits (mostly freezing unwanted layers), then I save, or save-as, depending on the project.

When I xref it in to my working drawing, all those frozen layers reappear.  Sometimes they don't reappear, but they "undo" themselves often enough that I'm finding unfreezing is more the rule, than the exception.

Similarly, when I REFEDIT from the working drawing, the just-frozen layers don't stay frozen. 

This is very frustrating--I end up writing down the layer names I want to freeze, then freeze them in the layer properties manager.  I imagine there's some simple step or variable I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 6 (9,653 Views)

Re: Xref editing problems--layer freeze

11-04-2011 10:40 AM in reply to: TOMLANG7190

Use Layer States Manager and save the layers status, no more writing down.

Valued Mentor
gjrcmb
Message 3 of 6 (9,636 Views)

11-04-2011 03:05 PM in reply to: TOMLANG7190

After reading the Command Reference on the VISRETAIN variable, which apparently is retained on a drawing by drawing basis, and playing with the setting a bit, it appears that you have two choices:

Do you want "Drawing X" layer settings, which is to be used as an external reference to take precedence when attached to another drawing.  Or, do you want "Drawing A" layer settings for externally referenced "Drawing X" to take precendence.  Based on your description it sounds like you trying for the first scenario.  If that is the case, I think you might be setting the VISRETAIN variable incorrectly and in the wrong file.

From what I can tell it does not matter what VISRETAIN setting is set in "Drawing X".  The only thing that matters is what the setting is in "Drawing A".  If "Drawing A" has a VISRETAIN setting of zero, then the layer settings for "Drawing X" will take precendence over settings in "Drawing A".  If "Drawing A" has a VISRETAIN setting of one, then the layer settings for "Drawing A" will take precendence over settings in "Drawing X".

Not sure if this also relates to REFEDIT or not?

TOMLANG7190
Message 4 of 6 (9,631 Views)

11-04-2011 03:58 PM in reply to: gjrcmb

I just want to turn off the unwanted layers in the drawing to be xref'd, and have them stay off when I attach the drawing to my working drawing.

And then, once it's attached, and I see something else I want turned off, I'd like to edit the xref in place, turn the layer off, save the reference edits, and have the layer stay off.

But that's not happening, even though it should.

I don't know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong!

Valued Mentor
gjrcmb
Message 5 of 6 (9,626 Views)

11-04-2011 05:13 PM in reply to: TOMLANG7190

Set VISRETAIN to 0 in your working drawing.

Attach the xref to your working drawing and whatever layers were frozen or off in the xrefed drawing should be off in your working drawing.  At least that is what I am seeing.  If you are not seeing the same thing perhaps something else is going on.  If so experiment with some new files.

As far as REFEDIT goes I cannot get the xref drawing to retain layer freezing or turning off by that method.  I have to open the xref drawing seperately, freeze or turn off a layer, save the xref, and then reload the xref in my working drawing.  That seems to be a limitation of the REFEDIT command unless someone else has some insight.

TOMLANG7190
Message 6 of 6 (9,526 Views)

12-02-2011 08:32 AM in reply to: gjrcmb

Thought I'd bump this back up....

Still having the same, though sporadic, issues.  And sometimes, odd layers will come back on, even though they'd been off for most of the time (these are frozen layers in xref'd drawings).

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.