AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

gmcmillan
Message 1 of 10 (2,271 Views)
Accepted Solution

Workspace Resets when restarting AutoCad

2271 Views, 9 Replies
04-28-2012 08:50 AM

For some odd reason Autocad will not maintain my workspace customizations. For example I typically can customize my workspace by toggling which toolbars are shown and where they are placed. Then I can close autocad and when I start it again all the customizations are present. Now when I start autocad it loads the default workspace. I had this problem last year and my VAR told me how to fix it. I think it was a simple setting but I can't remember or find it. If anyone knows who to fix this I'd appreciate it. I should have to customize my workspace every time I start autocad. I also shouldn't have to create any custom workspace profile or anything like that. AutoCad used to simply save any GUI customizations made automatically. I need it to get back to that.

Thanks,

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (2,259 Views)

Re: Workspace Resets when restarting AutoCad

04-29-2012 09:54 AM in reply to: gmcmillan

It would appear you are not saving your workspace manually after moving the content around: -WSSAVE command (there is a dash in the name).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
gmcmillan
Message 3 of 10 (2,259 Views)

04-29-2012 10:20 AM in reply to: pendean

Here is what it was. Under workspace settings two options are available. For some reason "Do not save workspace changes" Was checked when the other setting was supposed and usually by default is checked.

See attached.

Thanks for your reply.

Workspace Settings.jpg

Contributor
Message 4 of 10 (2,063 Views)

09-05-2012 05:54 AM in reply to: gmcmillan

I too have had this problem.  I like having the design center palette on top of the Properties palette on the left side of my screen.  For the first two months of using AutoCAD EVERY time I opened AutoCAD these would be rearranged to side by side and docked to the left.  This takes up about HALF of my monitor size.  I then had to go down to the workspace icon and reselect my custom workspace.  This problem went away for about three months and now it is doing the same thing.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 5 of 10 (2,048 Views)

09-05-2012 12:47 PM in reply to: gmcmillan

I would recommend you leave it as "Do not save" and manually (and *deliberately*) save any changes you make.  Why?  Well, lets say AutoCAD can't find a partially loaded CUIx (folder was moved, renamed, or its on a drive that didn't get mapped - it happens).  Well, thats considered a "change" and it will save it, so even if you do fix the problem your workspace is still borked.  If changes are not automatically saved, then you can still get your workspace back regardless of any errors or whoopsies (like "I didn't want to delete that Ribbon Panel!  Really!").

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 10 (2,047 Views)

09-05-2012 01:19 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Agreed: deliberately saving a workspace keep you, the user, in total control of your needs and requirements. No need to let a software package 'read your mind' and guess at what you mean to do.

Contributor
Message 7 of 10 (2,027 Views)

09-06-2012 06:17 AM in reply to: gmcmillan

Tried that in the past, tried it again this time.  Still no go.  I am thinking there maybe something quirky between my Windows settings and Autocad

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 10 (2,025 Views)

09-06-2012 06:20 AM in reply to: twallacemagee

Your CUIx file must be read-only then, or corrupt: WSSAVE command works fine in 2012 and WIn 7 64bit here.

Contributor
Message 9 of 10 (2,017 Views)

09-06-2012 07:15 AM in reply to: pendean

Windows XP Professional (32 bit) AutoCAD 2013.

Valued Contributor
jarredmonday
Message 10 of 10 (1,991 Views)

09-07-2012 07:43 AM in reply to: gmcmillan

I had a similar issue and I Right clicked on the shortcut or quicklaunch button and went to properties, then in the Target: field any virbaige after acad.exe" should not be there.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube