Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What ??

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
tstorzuk
771 Views, 22 Replies

What ??

Is AutoCAD getting stupider, or are the programmers for AutoCAD?

Used to be, you could text edit text with no problems. Simple as pie. Even if it was sitting on top/underneath multiple lines, arcs, circles, etc.....

But now, you try to text edit text, and if it's sitting on top/underneath multiple lines, arcs, circles, etc....you have to tell AutoCAD that you actually want to text edit the text. You don't want to text edit the lines, arcs, circles, etc....

Why would you want to text edit lines, arcs, circles, or anything else but text?

DDEDIT.png

Somebody's intentionally doing stupid stuff to justify their job I think. Making the end users work more instead of less; requiring the end users to point out what crap now needs to be fixed that used to work before.

BTW, I'm not subscribed to this post. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

End of rant.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
dbroad
in reply to: tstorzuk

Other than being intentionally offensive, the OP has a perfectly valid point.  He is not asking for a user fix, as if there is a good one.  Any of us who do our own programming know to filter our selections.  To have selection cycling implemented so that it cannot inherit the context of the command is lax to say the least, or in OP's words, "stupid".  But even worse, selection via (ssget '((0 . "TEXT,MTEXT"))) will not find a text entity below other objects, even with selectioncycling turned off.  At least with selectioncycling turned on, the entity is listed and available for further selection.  

This is a problem that should be fixed by Autodesk.  Ease of selection should be a goal.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 22 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: dbroad

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a problem that should be fixed by Autodesk.  

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I can "fix" this by turning off SC.

There are _so_ many other things that need fixed in AutoCAD for which there is no workaround, or the workaround is much more involved.

"Fixing" this is like #500 on the list of things I'm hoping they get to next. 🙂

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 23 of 23
jggerth
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a problem that should be fixed by Autodesk.  

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I can "fix" this by turning off SC.

There are _so_ many other things that need fixed in AutoCAD for which there is no workaround, or the workaround is much more involved.

"Fixing" this is like #500 on the list of things I'm hoping they get to next. 🙂

I'll go along with the idea that there are other things that need fixing also and at a higher priority - on the augi forum there's a long list of what for lack of a better term can be called paper cuts.  annoying, non-substantive glitches that interfere/aggravate with users productivity on a daily basis.  None are show stoppers, but still, they are things that could/should be fixed.  Call it fit-n-finish, qa/qc, excellence, or arete, it makes a difference.

I do shut off SS most of the time - but since I'm paying for the feature, it's reasonable of me to want it to work well.  A better implementation would make it more useful, and maybe save me time and money getting jobs out the door.

Calling the implementation of selection cycling 'lax' is spot-on.  It should be both feasible and practical for the selection mechanism to filter out irrelevant elements, most paticulary when verb-noun style is being used.  for that matter, it ought to be feasible to filter out locked layers before highlighting them- just render them invisible to the selection mechanism.  Selecting entities on a locked layer and then excluding them from editing commands seems to be rather counter-productive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost