Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Object Snap and relative coordinates

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MartinWinters
1155 Views, 2 Replies

Using Object Snap and relative coordinates

When making a rectangle, one length is often known while the other is based on other objects in the drawing (think of a 1" wide flat bar whose length matches something in the drawing).

After picking the base point, can I locate the 2nd point using object snap (.x) for the length and than relative dimension (y = 1" from base y) for width.  I can't figure it out on my own.

Thanks,

Marty

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi, to do what you want, just pick your base point and then dimensions. When it asks for length, click on your base point first and then your end point second. It will then ask for width.

Message 3 of 3
nestly2
in reply to: MartinWinters

Another option, especially if you don't have a reference point for rectangle start point, is to use the "From" OSnap combined with any number of other OSnaps to determine either the "length" or "width"  and then specify the other dimension "From" that point  In the animation below, I used OSnap tracking together since I always have them both running anyway.  When the tracking vectors meet, click then specify the "From" distance using whatever method you prefer. 

OSnap tracking.gif

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost