Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Notes and Legend on every sheet

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
584 Views, 9 Replies

Updating Notes and Legend on every sheet

Currently we have about 30 sheets where we xref the same construction note and legend.  The client is asking us to remove notes that don't apply to each sheet.  For example, sheet 1 will not need note 2, 6, 10, 11.  Sheet 2 will not need 3, 5, 10, and 11, etc.

Same goes for the legend-  they don't want to see something if it does not apply to the sheet.

Other than bringing in those notes and legend into each sheet and modifiying it, I can't think of another way to do this.  Previously, if I needed to change the wording of note 4, I change it once and I'm done.  If I need to change anything now, I will need to open up 20 sheets. Any suggestions?

Also, they want to remove the note completely, and not just cover up the note with "Not used this sheet."

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no quick and clean way to do what you want with Xrefing one set of notes: you've described the best workarounds IMHO.
Message 3 of 10
steve216586

Put your notes into Excel. You can hide the lines you don't need for that particular sheet and display the ones you do need. Import into your drawing and it will stay linked to any changes you make. Or you dont' have to link it and it will stay edited as first inserted. A macro in Excel will autonumber the notes to be incremental to only the ones shown.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 10
GrantsPirate

I would at least try making a drawing of each keyed note and legend item, then xref in the ones you need for each sheet.  At least once set up you can change the note or legend one time and everything updates.   I haven't thought this through but I think it will work.  If you have as few notes and legend items as you show then it should work fairly well.

Or maybe have  a layer for each line, then you can either turn it off or set the layer to no plot, etc.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steve216586

But would that not require 20 Excel files since they could all be different?

Create a table? Create an Attributed Block? Delete the Cells/Attributes you don't need?

I think all your choices stink. Get paid by the hour?

Message 6 of 10
steve216586
in reply to: Charles_Shade

"But would that not require 20 Excel files since they could all be different?"

No. The OP has 30 "SHEETS".  If you insert the Excel in ModelSpace then yes you would need 30 files. If you insert in Paperspace, each instance is its own entity but from the same Excel table. I've been doing this for about 6 years starting with 2007 with our Titleblock. My company makes various products constructed with different material with their own properties. We must call out the material and company registered name for that product and its properties for each sheet. I have one Excel file with each product literature in it. Prior to when I insert the Excel, I hide the rows I don't need and only insert the Product and its properties for that particular project's usage. As I stated, I have a macro which renumbers the different product property lines I need.

BTW, to say all the solutions offered "stink" is asinine. Especially since it seems you didn't try any of them. And furthermore, you do realize a Certified CAD Tech is a non-exempt salary position by Federal guidelines? If anyone is getting paid by the hour to do design drafting, the company they work for is violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Message 7 of 10
Charles_Shade

Thanks for the update on the way the Excel sheets work. I did not realize that in Paperspace each could be a static image I presume of the original file. 

And sorry for stepping on your toes there big guy. My business is likely different from yours and you are correct that I did not take time to go thru each laborious solution offered to find the most elegant and simple.

About that last item; I guess I need to update the coampany policy again - Well that is if I ever get around to writing it. Enjoy the day.

Message 8 of 10
jggerth

@steve216586 wrote:

a Certified CAD Tech is a non-exempt salary position by Federal guidelines? If anyone is getting paid by the hour to do design drafting, the company they work for is violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Interesting, but considering that none of the 'cad techs' in my 12000 employee organization is salaried, I would question that statement.  (with teh caveat that 'cad people' who are on salary have a title of 'manager' and have addtional staff reporting to them)

I'd also be curious about the 'Certified' bit -- AFAIK there is no national certification for CAD Techs, and they/we are not classified as 'professionals'.  so, certified by who?  Where do I get that?  (and no, i don't consider vendor certification is pushing their particular program buttons as having any value as a 'professional qualification.) 

Admittadly - many of the users could be humorously described as certifiable - but that very different.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
steve216586
in reply to: jggerth

I guess I should have qualified the statement of "certified". Maybe I should have said "Degreed" employees. A certificate is not the same as a degree. Although, a degree doesn't mandate that you are exempt or non-exempt but the duties an employee performs are what matters. Mostly, companies look at exempt and non-exempt salary employees as having advanced knowledge in a field of science or learning that’s customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction.

In other words, a learned professional performs work that usually involves analysis, interpretation or making deductions from facts and circumstances. Learned professionals work with their intellect, not with their hands. The regulations go so far as to state that their advanced knowledge can’t be attained in high school but must ordinarily be in specialized academic training at a higher level. That doesn’t always mean a four-year degree, however; the test is whether the academic training is a standard prerequisite for entrance into the profession. If you are hiring CAD employees who had CAD in high school, self taught, or a 9 month trade school simpley to red-line all day, then they are probably non-exempt hourly employees.

The status of being exempt or non-exempt salary does not apply to manual laborers or other “blue-collar” workers who perform work involving repetitive operations with their hands, physical skill and energy. FLSA-covered, nonmanagement employees in production, maintenance, construction and similar occupations (such as carpenters, electricians, mechanics, plumbers, iron workers, craftsmen, operating engineers, longshoremen, construction workers and laborers) are entitled to minimum wage and overtime premium pay under the FLSA.

There is not much difference between non-exempt salary and non-exempt hourly employees except the salary employees are guaranteed a flat rate even if they don't work 40 hours/week. They both qualify for overtime at 1 1/2 times pay rate. Most companies are/have been going to more salaried non-exempt payroll schedules.

Message 10 of 10
jggerth

Thanks, i appreciate your coming back with that expansion.  I've been both hourly and salaried at varous times in different jobs/roles, and in at least one of those instances the feds came back and changed my exempt/non-exempt designation.  collected about 6 months of back OT that spring.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost