Did you mean: 

Unable to delete/move/select viewport

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
kiarianc
143892 Views, 38 Replies

Unable to delete/move/select viewport

Something that's been driving me around the bend lately. I have a drawing, with a viewport which I cannot select. I have unfrozen all layers, ticked the 'Selection Cycling' box, but no lines show. It's just there, a viewport, but with no viewport polyline. No way of deleting, or clipping, or doing anything with it.

Any advice?

Thanks

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
Charles_Shade
in reply to: kiarianc

Modelspace or Paperspace?

If Layout perhaps create another Layout and then Delete the offending one.

Message 3 of 39
jggerth1
in reply to: Charles_Shade

are the boundaries of the viewport _inside_ the boundaries of another viewport?

Message 4 of 39
Bob_Zurunkle

Is your zero layer on/thawed? Also, there are more than just the one freeze/thaw button -- did you check those as well?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 39
Jay_B

Are there any Locked layers in the drawing?
Have you tried running AUDIT command?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 39
braudpat
in reply to: Jay_B

Hello

An idea :

Create a NEW layer (unlocked of course) with Continous LineType

Selected your special Vport

Please "ByLayer" for Color, Linetype, etc !

and then move it on the New layer ...

And now ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 39
Valentin-WSP

Go into the viewport and on the top left...select the [+] and Maximize Viewport.

Now you should be able to see and select the viewport.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Autodesk Certified Professional
LinkedIn | Training
Message 8 of 39
KLYPHY

Kiarianc has not answered any of the replies, so, I don't know if any solution has been reached.

From my AutoCAD Notes I've collected over the years, I have this entry:

BE CAREFULL, BE VERY, VERY CAREFULL:

One can create a Viewport with an Object, then erase that Object.

The Viewport will remain with no way to manipulate the Viewport.

Very Dangerous.        

From AutoCAD Discussion Groups: R2013:

-B-Klopp: 08-03-2012, 3:31m in “Disappearing viewport” by: stevecee: 08-03-2012, 7:03am

One solution:

Draw a rectangle over the top of the viewport in paperspace.

Use QUICKSELECT to select only the viewport.

Start the Viewport Clip command (VPCLIP).

It will already have the viewport selected and will prompt you to select the object to clip with.

Select the rectangle.

Voila! You should have a workable viewport.    

From AutoCAD Discussion Groups: R2013:laurich: 01-08-2013, 1:37pm in “Disappearing viewport?” by: stevecee: 08-03-2012, 7:03am

Message 9 of 39
abubakars
in reply to: KLYPHY

Something like the drawing in the attachment?, if so then it could be revelaed using command "Viewport Visibilty Turn-On" in LayoutManager

Message 10 of 39
duran23

If you have issues with selecting a viewport, here is the magic fix: (if it is on the Defpoints layer) change the word defpoints to "Defpoint"  no "s". Make a new viewport under the correct defpoints, delete the old one and purge to get rid of the corrupt layer.

good luck!

Message 11 of 39
MPGotham
in reply to: duran23

A faster fix that doesn't involve changing the Defpoints layer: In paperspace, use ctrl+A to select everything and use shift+select to deselect everything except the viewport.  The viewport is now the only thing selected and can be moved off of the Defpoints layer.

Message 12 of 39
sarditi

i have no idea how, but this worked

i selected all layers and toggled them on/off frozen/thawed locked/unlocked and then i was able to select the viewport - even though all layers were thawed, on and unlocked to begin with

Found this below, worked!

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?25613-Unable-to-select-viewport

Message 13 of 39
daniel_saldanha
in reply to: KLYPHY

Dear All

Here is the Solution

open layer manager (Command LA)

then in the VP freese section unfreeze all the layers 

bingo 

now you will see the viewport lines and you will be able to select

Regards

Daniel

Message 14 of 39
hamjof
in reply to: duran23

This solution works! I was copying a layout with a viewport on defpoint. After changing the layer name from "Defpoints" to "Defpoint" without the "s" and then deleting the layout with problem and again coping the layout, I was about to select the viewports. Thanks duran23!
Message 15 of 39

@Bob_Zurunkle : thanks sir for ur advice,,,,,,it worked for me,,,,,thanks a lot and god bless
Message 16 of 39
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: parab.sushant

@BoB_Curunkle wrote:
Is your zero layer on/thawed? Also, there are more than just the one freeze/thaw button -- did you check those as well?
@parab.sushant wrote:
@Bob_Zurunkle : thanks sir for ur advice,,,,,,it worked for me,,,,,thanks a lot and god bless

Welcome to these Forums!

If that's the solution for you, it's almost certainly because when Layer 0 is either off or frozen, things on the DEFPOINTS Layer [mentioned as the Layer some people put Viewports on in several other Posts on this thread] are visible, but cannot be selected, nor Osnapped to.

Allow me to make a suggestion:  Don't put Viewports on the DEFPOINTS Layer.  That practice comes from the days [pretty long ago now] when DEFPOINTS was the only Layer that would not Plot.  But it's called what it is for a reason, and a Viewport is not a DEFinition POINT [for a Dimension].  For a very long time now it's been possible to set any Layer to not Plot -- make one like that for Viewports, and put them on it.  In addition to completely eliminating this particular problem, it also means that if you should ever have some reason to want Viewports on and thawed, but DEFinition POINTS off or frozen, or the other way around, you have the ability to treat them separately that way, which is impossible if Viewports are on the DEFPOINTS Layer.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 39
su66s
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

This jogged it.  Thank you!

Message 18 of 39

I went through this same thing. Drove me crazy for about 15 minutes. 

I noticed I was in RefEdit mode still. I was editing a block and forgot to save and close ref edit mode. 

So double check that... 

Message 19 of 39
aospovat

I just found this thread because I had the same problem. QSELECT would select all the viewports on the page (but they wouldn't look selected - only in the properties window). But I needed to fix just one of them. So once I was inside that viewport, I unlocked the display (all the other viewports were display-locked) and then used that property as a filter in QSELECT so just the one viewport was selected. I then used VPCLIP to clip it, et voila - the new viewport was selectable again.

Message 20 of 39
john.vellek

Hi @kiarianc and others,

I am providing a summary of the solutions in this thread to hopefully benefit members of the Community.

• Verify all layers are on and thawed including the VP layer settings.

• If the Viewport is on the defpoints layer, try renaming defpoints.

• Double-click inside the viewport to make it active.
    Maximize the viewport by clicking the + sign in the top left corner.
    Change back to paper space and you can now see and select the viewport.

Capture.PNG

• Draw a rectangle over the viewport
    Qselect the viewport
  • Capture1.PNG
    use VPCLIP (viewport is still selected)
    Select the rectangle.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost