AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

cfreels
Message 1 of 5 (3,973 Views)

Text Inside Block Rotation Problem

3973 Views, 4 Replies
07-26-2011 02:28 PM

I'm hoping that someone on here can help me solve a problem I can't seem to get to the bottom of.

I'm trying to make pallets of custom block symbols for our electrical department (we are a smallish MEP firm) to use that have text in them.  They want the text to stay upright while the rest of the block rotates.

I have had different problems with different ways of setting up the text.  I first used single line text with a middle justification set to stay horizontal. It would stay up right, but would not stay centered when the rest of the block rotated.

I thought I had the problem solved when I used MText with a middle justification as it worked in the parent drawing that I store the blocks in for the pallets to retrieve from.  However, when the block is inserted from the pallet, it rotates the text instead of leaving it upright.

The solution for this also needs to work in AutoCad LT as our office has a mixed deployment of LT and Full versions of AutoCad.  If 2012 has a simple solution that will work as we are on subscriptions and I could upgrade the electrical department now.

Any help would be appreciated!

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 2 of 5 (3,951 Views)

Re: Text Inside Block Rotation Problem

07-26-2011 05:18 PM in reply to: cfreels

I have seen lisp programs that could fix your situation.  You can do a search thru the AutoLisp forum to see if you can find something or post there to see if someone could write one for you.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 3 of 5 (3,950 Views)

07-26-2011 05:19 PM in reply to: cfreels

You can create a dynamic block so that you can use a dynamic grip to rotate the block but keep the text upright.  Noted that if you rotate it using ROTATE command then the text will be rotated as well.  See attached example.

SVM_Draft
Message 4 of 5 (3,911 Views)

07-27-2011 10:10 AM in reply to: cfreels

I am in a similar situation.  Small firm and etc.  I created our blocks with attributes with middle center insertions.  Then when you insert your block, you edit the attribute and change the rotation back to 0 degrees.  I know, it's two steps.  Most of the time I wait until I am about done with the drawing and do all of the attributes at once.  The advantage of using attributes is that you can change the text after you inserted the block into the drawing.

Distinguished Contributor
ssx_Autodesk
Message 5 of 5 (3,889 Views)

07-28-2011 12:38 PM in reply to: cfreels

i second Toan's comment about Dynamic Blocks.  with a bit of practice and a smidge of playing, you can make them do anything.  if you have geometric constraints in your version even better (though they are not necessary).

Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.