AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
calvindale
Message 1 of 34 (3,810 Views)
Accepted Solution

Text Annotations Don't Display

3810 Views, 33 Replies
05-23-2011 03:36 PM

I've got a fresh install of AutoCAD 2011 on a Windows 7 laptop.  Very often (but not always) when I open a drawing, the text entities (of all types) do not display.  Instead the command line displays a series of "** Undefined shape 84" messages.

I've only recently installed 2011 and it seems that the problem either occurs in a session or it doesn't occur.  That is if the first opened drawing will successfully display its text entities, then all subsequently opened drawings will do likewise.  And vice-versa.

Any ideas?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 34 (3,789 Views)

Re: Text Annotations Don't Display

05-24-2011 05:09 AM in reply to: calvindale

Wild geuss, but it happens only when your laptop is not connected to the server, correct?

Either way, the error message means you have a missing big font or shape file (it's not on your laptop): ensure your laptop has all the necessary files all your DWG files require.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
mjerome
Message 3 of 34 (3,756 Views)

06-07-2011 11:37 AM in reply to: calvindale

We are having the same issue.  Win7 64 bit desktops though, not laptop, and we are connected to the server.  If you restart Autocad, the drawing is fine but when it's taken a few minutes to open a drawing with a 550MB image, having to restart gets very annoying.  We haven't experienced the problem with XP, only see it in Win7.  I switched to the Basic theme from an Aero theme after my last missing text occurence and after searching the groups for solutions.  I haven't had the problem since but it's early yet so I'll post back if I find it really does help. 

Active Contributor
calvindale
Message 4 of 34 (3,738 Views)

06-09-2011 08:21 AM in reply to: calvindale

After upgrading from AutoCAD 2007, this version of AutoCAD (2011) seems, by comparison, extremely slow to launch.  And then after it finally completes launching and a drawing is opened, text-like entities won't display at least two-thirds of the time.  Restarting AutoCAD doesn't automatically fix the problem.  Nor does opening a succession of drawings.  Sometimes the text will eventually display after restarting AutoCAD a few times and/or opening a series of drawings; but very often neither technique works and I have to reboot the system.

This bug is annoying as hell!

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 5 of 34 (3,731 Views)

06-09-2011 01:20 PM in reply to: calvindale

calvindale wrote:

....the text entities (of all types) do not display.  Instead the command line displays a series of "** Undefined shape 84" messages.

Any ideas?

Undefined shape means that you have some characters in your test strings that are not in the font file AutoCAD is using right then.

For example, let's say I customize my copy of "SIMPLEX.SHX" and add some new characters. Then I use those characters in a drawing and save it and send it to you. When you open it, you will get the "Undefined Shape" errors because your copy of SIMPLEX.SHX does not have the new characters that I created.

See if you can narrow down which font it is, then why there are multiple, different copies of it being used....

Active Contributor
calvindale
Message 6 of 34 (3,729 Views)

06-09-2011 01:51 PM in reply to: calvindale

It doesn't seem to matter which font (there are several).  There aren't any special characters.  All characters are either intermittently shown or not shown.  Fonts are installed locally.

Active Contributor
trucdang3750
Message 7 of 34 (3,584 Views)

08-02-2011 10:31 AM in reply to: calvindale

A few users have had the same issue here.  Both on AutoCAD Architecture 2011, Windows 7, 64 bit, connected to the network.  One of the users mentioned errors about "undefined shape."  She also thinks this happens if she hasn't started AutoCAD in a long time.  It doesnt matter which file.  Restarting AutoCAD seems to help but it's bothersome as it disrupts thier workflow and 2011 is slower to start and operate than 2008. 

Valued Contributor
mlabell
Message 8 of 34 (3,515 Views)

08-10-2011 11:37 AM in reply to: trucdang3750

Here is how to fix the Windows 7 x64 missing text issue in AutoCAD 2010-2012. You will need to delete the following file,
C:\Windows\Prefetch\PRESENTATIONFONTCACHE.EXE-3C65D73B.pf. The prefetch file is getting manipulated in a way that will only fail with the presence of a network connection. We are currently running the delete action with a logon script to prevent the issue from happening again. Please Autodesk look into why this issue is happening there are many people that have reported the issue. We had two programmers one Network admin and myself tied up on this issue for several weeks trying to troubleshoot all the nuances of this issue.

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr
Valued Contributor
rick.hberg
Message 9 of 34 (3,476 Views)

08-15-2011 06:04 AM in reply to: mlabell

are you sure that PRESENTATIONFONTCACHE.EXE is not neede by other windows applications?  When I search this on the internet, I see a lot of "do not delete" messages.

Civil 3D 2011
Windows 7 x64
Valued Contributor
mlabell
Message 10 of 34 (3,468 Views)

08-15-2011 06:46 AM in reply to: mlabell

Update, it appears that I got a little over-excited when posting.  Deleting the .pf file that I mentioned is a red herring.  Deleting it only temporarily prevents the issue from happening.  We are still focused on the PresentationFontCache.exe no the .pf file as the culprit, more to come when we have something a bit more concrete.

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.