Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM and EXTEND issues

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
morganism3
2569 Views, 12 Replies

TRIM and EXTEND issues

I'm having problems with both trim and extend stopping at "imaginary" lines on the dwg. I know to adjust the edge settings to "no extend", and I've also tinkered with the Projection settings. Nothing I set it to gets rid of the problem. Any other ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Patchy
in reply to: morganism3

Change your EDGEMODE variable.

Message 3 of 13
morganism3
in reply to: Patchy

I already tried setting it to 0, with no success.

Message 4 of 13
Patchy

Try

Command: UCS, use World

Command: Plan, use Current.

Then trim and extend

Message 5 of 13
morganism3

I looked but they were all already set to those settings.

Message 6 of 13
Patchy

For testing, if you have a polyline, explode it and see if you have a zero length line at the end of the polyline.

Message 7 of 13
morganism3

I do.

Message 8 of 13
Patchy

zero length will not stretch.

Message 9 of 13
morganism3

I don't catch your meaning. How is that related to TR and EX commands?

Message 10 of 13
doni49

@morganism3 wrote:

I don't catch your meaning. How is that related to TR and EX commands?

Trim and Extend change the LENGTH of a line (segment).  He's saying that if you have a polyline with a zero lenght segment, it will STAY zero length (will not change in length).  Since it won't change length, it will behave as you've described.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 13
Kent1Cooper

@morganism3 wrote:

I'm having problems with both trim and extend stopping at "imaginary" lines on the dwg. I know to adjust the edge settings to "no extend", and I've also tinkered with the Projection settings. Nothing I set it to gets rid of the problem. Any other ideas?

Might there be some things so close in color to the background that you don't see them?  A way to test: select the boundary/trimming edges explicitly and individually [not by Enter to use everything, nor using anything like Window/Crossing/Fence selection], and see whether things you pick to Trim/Extend successfully relate to them, rather than "stopping at" unexpected locations.  Another way: do a Crossing-selection with no command active, and see whether any grips appear that are not on visible objects.

By the way, as interesting as the suggestion of a zero-length segment at the end of a Polyline is, I doubt that's really your problem, because it would apply only if such a Polyline is the thing chosen to be Extended only, and only if you're trying to Extend it at the end with the zero-length segment.  It sounds like your problem is broader than that.  [It's really not so much about the length of the end segment, but more the fact that to Extend a Polyline, you need to pick on it within its end segment.  You can't do that within a zero-length segment.  You can pick within the previous segment, but even if the end segment is not zero-length, it still won't Extend when you pick in the previous segment.]  But that situation wouldn't have any effect on Trimming, nor on Extending anything other than such Polylines, nor on Extending if things do in fact Extend partially, but stop at some unintended place short of where you expect them to Extend to.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 13

I am having the same problem after downloading AutoCAD at home. I'm working on the same project I had at the office, but a setting is different, and it keeps doing this. I don't remember the command, but I remember there being one where Extend will extend my line out to where it lines up with the end of parallel line somewhere else on the drawing. Sometimes useful, but generally gets in the way/makes things take longer. Since I don't know what that command was, I'm not sure how to fix the issue at this point.

Message 13 of 13

I was just now able to fix my particular issue by selecting the drop-down when I first enter the command and changing "mOde" from "standard" to "Quick"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost