Did you mean: 

Sweeping Triangles

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MrDrMelon
995 Views, 3 Replies

Sweeping Triangles

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on my first autocad project trying to make a bolt with real meassurements. I've done almost everything to complete this project of mine but I have come accross a problem when using the sweep command to make the thread of the bolt. I really don't know what it is I'm doing wrong, and it is not the alignment function that I switch off so the triangle doesn't rotate. I'll add some pictures to explain what happens.

bolt1.jpg

I set the triangle (not equilateral so it's three lines drawn in that shape) in the position that I want it to be and start the sweep command along the helix drawn. I select all three lines for sweeping and set alignment to "No". This is what happens when the sweeping completes:

bolt 2.jpg

As you can see the sweeping only does half of the triangle, and this is what I don't know how to fix. I do believe it has to do with the base of the triangle being too large, but I haven't been able to fix it even by making it smaller. The code says:

Modeling Operation Error:
                The helical sweep results in a self-intersecting body.
Unable to sweep 2 selected objects.

Any help on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

I'll add the .dwg file if anyone wants to take a closer look at it.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: MrDrMelon

I opened your file but don't see the triangle.  I even made sure all layers on & thawed.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I tried to reproduce your error without success.  I drew my own triangle since I didn't find yours in the file.

My version is attached.  I did this in Acad C3D 2012.  Since I didn't use any C3D objects, you should be able to open it.

tornillo.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 4
MrDrMelon
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for the reply,

I had forgotten to add the triangle to the file. I shall attach two files, the first one has the triangle drawn and the second one has the triangle with the sweep command. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost