AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 21 of 26 (201 Views)

Re: Student version: always starts with Drawing1.dwg

03-17-2013 04:01 PM in reply to: exit8

I'll try to shed some light on this seeing you are a new user to the software. Years ago autoCAD always started up with drawing 1dwg using the default template. As time when by users wanted a way to use thier own templates to start up, there fore we were given the system variable "Startup" it had two setting 0 & 1. As time went past users also wanted a way for autocad to start up with out any dwg loaded or in a blank editor. Therefore the sysvar was changed and the "2" value was added. Now in all this time they, autodesk, also added some other features such as the Qnew cammand and the Startup video and other features depending on the vertical you use. All of the varibles that control those features may or maynot work along side each other. Setting one to display this may cause that to display and so on.

So in short, AutoCAD will always startup with a new drawing1 when you first start it up until you set "Startup" = 2 and all the starting videos and other features are also turned off. It is the same with MS Office  Word, it starts with a blank document ready for you to start creating.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Contributor
exit8
Message 22 of 26 (173 Views)

03-19-2013 03:49 AM in reply to: Murph

Murph wrote:

I'll try to shed some light on this seeing you are a new user to the software. Years ago autoCAD always started up with drawing 1dwg using the default template. As time when by users wanted a way to use thier own templates to start up, there fore we were given the system variable "Startup" it had two setting 0 & 1. As time went past users also wanted a way for autocad to start up with out any dwg loaded or in a blank editor. Therefore the sysvar was changed and the "2" value was added. Now in all this time they, autodesk, also added some other features such as the Qnew cammand and the Startup video and other features depending on the vertical you use. All of the varibles that control those features may or maynot work along side each other. Setting one to display this may cause that to display and so on.

So in short, AutoCAD will always startup with a new drawing1 when you first start it up until you set "Startup" = 2 and all the starting videos and other features are also turned off. It is the same with MS Office  Word, it starts with a blank document ready for you to start creating.

Thanks for that explanation.

I re-read the Autodesk explanation on STARTUP http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/ACD/2012/ENU/pages/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4...

and it seems from that explanation that FILEDIA also impacts the startup.

Apparently, STARTUP = 0 should let the user choose a Template file if a default one is not specified which is the case for me as Default Template File Name for QNEW is None. Apparently, to be able to do that I also need to set FILEDIA =1.

I will try that later as I am off to work.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 23 of 26 (163 Views)

03-19-2013 05:57 AM in reply to: exit8

Hi,

>> Apparently, STARTUP = 0 should let the user choose a Template file

>> if a default one is not specified which is the case for me

I wrote above (message 8 in this thread) to the same question/statement:

Then AutoCAD uses the ACAD.DWT or ACADISO.DWT

(ignored or forgotten? I have the feeling that you intrepret the help in your direction and ignore all what others write here)

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
exit8
Message 24 of 26 (149 Views)

03-19-2013 06:34 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred.neswadba wrote:

Hi,

>> Apparently, STARTUP = 0 should let the user choose a Template file

>> if a default one is not specified which is the case for me

I wrote above (message 8 in this thread) to the same question/statement:

Then AutoCAD uses the ACAD.DWT or ACADISO.DWT

(ignored or forgotten? I have the feeling that you intrepret the help in your direction and ignore all what others write here)

- alfred -

And, as I wrote to you above. That is NOT what the documentation says it should, does it?

Because, it is suppose to let you choose. That is how I interpret what it says.

That it does not do what it says it should do is a problem.

And since you are so insistent on this, how exactly do I get the dialog box to let me choose a template file?????

STARTUP = 1 is Starts without opening a drawing template file, and displays the Startup or the Create New Drawing dialog box

I want the Select Template dialog box which is apparently a different thing than Create New Drawing dialog box.

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 25 of 26 (129 Views)

03-20-2013 08:30 AM in reply to: Murph

STARTUP = 2

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 26 of 26 (108 Views)

03-21-2013 04:57 PM in reply to: exit8

Change STARTUP to 1 and you will have the dialog box that lets you select a template.

As long as why the description of the variable, you can file a complaint or a class action lawsuit against Autodesk if that one thing has been ruining your day.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube