AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
hypersonic
Message 21 of 47 (571 Views)

Re: SpaceNavigator with 2012?

04-30-2011 01:11 PM in reply to: clrbedwards

I too am very dissapointed in the space pilot performance due to lack of autocad creating a proper driver.

My understanding is autocad told the space pilot people that they wanted to develop their own driver. So much for that!

Autodesk, give the job back to the pro's.  I for one switched to Solidworks, but gave 2012 a whirl in hopes they have fixed this problem specifically.  Autodesk continues to drive away loyal customers by breaking things that used to work.  Too bad!  Gee at least they put some translators back in it, now if they could just bring surfacing back to where they had it with mechanical desktop, fix their driver problems, maybe they could win me back.... but I doubt it. I have lost faith in this company and there products shifting focus as the wind blows.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 22 of 47 (566 Views)

04-30-2011 05:32 PM in reply to: hypersonic

hypersonic wrote:

I for one switched to Solidworks,..... now if they could just bring surfacing back to where they had it with mechanical desktop,

Now wait a minute.  How in the world are you comparing AutoCAD to SolidWorks?  Mechanical Desktop?  You've got to be kidding me!  Development on that was ended back in Feb 2002.  Sounds like you need to become informed with modern software.  You should get some training with surfaces in Autodesk Inventor (along with Alias edit in Fusion).

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Mentor
hypersonic
Message 23 of 47 (560 Views)

04-30-2011 06:47 PM in reply to: JDMather

I am quite informed with "modern" software hence the switch to Solidworks. I even thoroughtly tested inventor, bought a seat and after thorough investigation of the sheet metal tools, sent it back.  The solid works sheet metal tools blow away even that in inventor.  Hands down, spent probably 100 hours with demos and research.  Yes I am comparing Mechanical Desktop to the "modern Autocad", they striped out good surfacing tools that they could have made available to all autocad users, the technology was already there.  they striped out STEP and IGES translators, the Technology was already there.  Now "new 2012" magically has the translaters back and its a "new product"  If you can show me surfacing tools in Autocad that can do what Mechanical desktop from 2004 can do I would be shocked.  I would thank you in fact and probably buy a seat.  Meanwhile I will stick with the switch.  The fact that in Acad they can't even get the space pilot to work right is a joke.  Sorry, did I miss something with the research?  It takes about 15 seconds to figure out its wacked.  Solid works has 2 add in applications that work for progressive die sheet metal part die design. Inventor: 0 What more research would you like to discuss?

Distinguished Contributor
FProcp
Message 24 of 47 (552 Views)

05-01-2011 03:42 AM in reply to: hypersonic

This study must have been as BS then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7srMusjr-mg

How do they get away with it?

Franc
inventor :-)
Mentor
hypersonic
Message 25 of 47 (543 Views)

05-01-2011 06:52 AM in reply to: hypersonic

None of this has anything to do with sheet metal unfolding for a progressive die. 

If no one noticed it was done at xxxxx Autodesk Drive in Novi. I got the invite myself.  So if your really sold on that go watch some WWF Wrestling and tell me how real it is.  Would you sponsor a test in areas that you knew you were going to loose in?   Any cad system could sponsor a test pick the areas they specialize in and they would win.... Just sayin.

Besides look guys this is way out of hand, I am not bashing inventor.  I am simply disappointed that AUTOCAD hasn't done a better job incorporating and keeping incorporated technologies they already had developed.  You can argue who's got better 3d all day long and the fact of that matter is they forced a lot of folks have to make a decision on what "new 3d modeling system"  when they quit developing mechanical desktop.  My discovery is that SW has 2 die design packages that add in and make it blow away either Inventor or inventor with any available add ins for progressive die design.  It is simply the best tool for my needs.  Inventor may or may not be better at creating sheet metal parts, I don't know and frankly I don't care.  I don't deisgn the parts I need the proper tools to design the tooling to make the parts.  My other point is that if AC would fix a couple simple things i.e. oh I am sorry, restore the things they have removed or broke, i.e. surfacing, space pilot, import tools and do them all at the same time, then I would still be a customer.  Got work to do, if you guys want to duke it out without me go ahead.

Distinguished Contributor
FProcp
Message 26 of 47 (527 Views)

05-01-2011 05:28 PM in reply to: hypersonic

I'm not knocking what you've said. In actual fact I have to agree with you about AutoCAD becoming much less powerful after the removal of MDT surfacing and parametric 3D, etc. I guess Autodesk wants everyone to buy Inventor?

Sadly many big engineering/drafting firms in my part of the world won't do the upgrade.

Franc
inventor :-)
Mentor
hypersonic
Message 27 of 47 (522 Views)

05-01-2011 07:43 PM in reply to: hypersonic

After installing the latest drivers from 3d Connexion the space pilot seems to work o.k. not nearly as smooth as in SW or other applications. There is definitely some lag time when it sences you are switching from pan or zoom to pivot, as (because it is really an ACAD driver thing) it uses the internal Acad 3d pivot command.  So there is like a pause that happens.  I suppose you could get used to it.. I will try for a bit.  My vote is they still need to sit down with 3d conexion and get them to do the full integration like they used to have with real drivers. 

Anyone know how to disable the big green pivot ball, its sort of annoying and doesn't seem to serve much purpose.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 28 of 47 (507 Views)

05-02-2011 06:10 AM in reply to: hypersonic

hypersonic wrote:

...  If you can show me surfacing tools in Autocad that can do what Mechanical desktop from 2004 can do I would be shocked.  .... 

Why would I even fool with obsolete technology AutoCAD or Mechanical Desktop.  Inventor does parametric surfaces. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 29 of 47 (504 Views)

05-02-2011 06:13 AM in reply to: hypersonic

hypersonic wrote:

I don't deisgn the parts I need the proper tools to design the tooling to make the parts. 

Post a sample part for which you need to make tooling.

Post your native SWx tooling based on that part.

Mentor
hypersonic
Message 30 of 47 (500 Views)

05-02-2011 06:16 AM in reply to: hypersonic

I don't know why you would or wouldn't JD, But do you really think that "your" reasoning and decision making process fit the exact situation and needs of everyone you want to project your view on?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube