Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Design

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
richmond0001
10515 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet Metal Design

Does AutoCAD 2011 have any apps for sheet metal design? i.e. chutes tanks etc. If not what is the best software to due such things?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: richmond0001

No, plain AutoCAD is for 'everybody and nobody' at the same time, it's not industry specific or have industry specific tools (just samples).

have you looked at Inventor? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13954279
Message 3 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: pendean

From user feedback, Inventor can be a little weak at sheet metal work.  It also has a steep learning curve and cost for those coming from a strictly AutoCAD-based world.  AutoCAD Mechanical may also be worth checking out, if only due to its inclusion in a number of the Suite packages.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 8
richmond0001
in reply to: dgorsman

I do also have Mechanical, I have not found any sheet metal functions there either.

Message 5 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: richmond0001

If you want something *specifically* geared towards sheet metal work with all tools, part libraries, etc. then you will likely need to find a third-party plug-in or parts library for Mechanical and/or Inventor.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: dgorsman

My students learn Inventor faster/easier than AutoCAD.

About $1300 + AutoCAD, should pay for itself in short time.

Inventor Sheet Metal.PNG

Post example of the types of designs you need to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
tbennett
in reply to: JDMather

Yup.  Inventor, SolidWorks, and Creo have good packages.  I'm partial to SolidWorks, however, if you need AutoCAD, I'd go with Inventor.

Back in the day, I did everything in 3D AutoCAD and sliced things up as needed.  I hope never to have to do that again.  Seems to me you would indeed pay for it after a couple jobs.  Depending on your CAD aptitude, you will also need some training.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 8 of 8
johnteng00
in reply to: pendean

solid3dtech has a tool to unfold the sheet metal model in AutoCAD. So you can use AutoCAD to generate a sheet metal model, then use the tool from Solid3DTech to get 2D drawing. The tool requires the K-Factor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost