AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
MRM4TN
Message 21 of 41 (1,661 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012

12-29-2011 06:27 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

We had the same issue with the disappearing scree menu. Here's how we got it back.

On the command line, type REDEFINE. Where it says Enter Command Name, type SCREENMENU.

Next, type SCREENMENU in the command line. If it says 0, change it to 1. The screen menu should then appear.

oiledgarcia
Message 22 of 41 (1,628 Views)

01-04-2012 10:30 AM in reply to: MRM4TN

thannnkkkkkk you :smileyhappy

JohnAlderson3838
Message 23 of 41 (1,569 Views)

02-01-2012 09:21 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

Well it seems Autocad peaked at 2011.........

Not being able to edit the screen menu in 2012 CUI Editor is a pain.

I have a partial custom screen menu with text entries for attributes during block insertion. Beats typing and I haven't come up with a better way.

I select a block from my tablet menu, the underlying tablet menu commands insert the block where I select, then juggle my screen menus to allow selecting the appropriate text for the attribute. It is one click per attribute. The Attributes contain many characters but the options are repetitive so it is a typing and time saver.

The only options seem to be go back to 2011(keep getting a corrupted installtion over time), rebuild an old mnu/mnc and import as needed or work through the chaotic XML files for the partial menu.

I did manage to 7zip unzip acad.cuix, work out the relationship between screenmenuroot.cui and menugroup.cui to change the one line with XML notepad in acad.cuix I needed. It was truly a pleasure ! Rezipped it, renamed it, and it worked.

Unsupported, well that's Autodesk's fault for not supporting their customers with the tools they want. I feel it is about time for, goes around comes around..... unsupport Autodesk.

Well I'm now wondering what ARX file contains the CUIX editor component, I feel the need to substitute the 2012 version with the 2011 version.

2200+ views for this thread, must be a few of us dealing with this Autodesk mistake.

Regards

John

Active Contributor
jclong
Message 24 of 41 (1,546 Views)

02-02-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: JohnAlderson3838

........ I feel it is about time for, goes around comes around..... unsupport Autodesk.

2200+ views for this thread, must be a few of us dealing with this Autodesk mistake...."

I see I'm not the only one thinking like this.

The vast majority of the users never modify the menu other than add third party add-ons that come with their own custom menu options.

I learned early how important managing your own custom menu was and it was so simple before the cui... There was no excuse for not knowing how to customize your own.

So if anyone here has a good cui editing resource, one that not only defines the steps but maybe gets into a discussion of the advantages or disadvantages of the multiple choices, I would appreciate knowing where to buy or download it. Something like you would find in a good Tips & Tricks Book.

So many of the AutoCAD books I've seen just describe the commands with mostly syntax only....   "click this, type that and you're done"  But WHY?  Why would I want to use that over another?

If there is no more screen menu, what can I use to achieve the same simple results?  Pallets? Ribbons?   Where can I place those macros or scripts that worked so well with my tablet? A single sqaure on my tablet brings up a comjplete new screen menu related to that tablet spot I clicked.

It would certainly be nice to open a simple text file that can use copy and paste functions for menu editing like the old MNU system used. I could pause my work for 3 minutes, open the editor, and drop in a simple macro of nothing but key strokes that would save me hours if even for just that one day.

Before the cui, I wrote a simple text string of UCS commands that would instantly take my UCS from the current XYZ location, set it back to WORLD and then bring it back to the last XY position and then UP to a new but known Z elevation (using inches) that matched the floor level I needed to reference while working on a multi-level building..  instant and easy.  So the next month, we have a different job...  no problem!  open the editor, find that last UCS elevation script, copy and paste it to a new trigger spot and then change only the new values required for the current job WITHOUT messing up the previous job elevations....  all neatly there on my screen menu.

For example:  You are in an ISO view where you can work with all 3 coordinates at the same time but you are several hundred feet away from the WORLD Origin...  it's behind you and you want to use ORTHO mode with the rubber band staying in your view...  your UCS and icon are there in front of you on an object you are working with. You are working on Floor #5 that is 188 fee 6 inchest above engineering project elevation. You are somewhere above the floor but you don't know how far. You want to set the UCS to the floor you are working on so that you can ( ID ) Identify the relative elevation of the object you are working with but you want the UCS and UCS icon to stay in your view...   here is the simple text string for that in my screen menu:

[LEVEL 5]^C^CID;0,0,0;UCS;;;O;.XY;@;2262;

Now if level 5 in a new building is a different value (and it always is), all I have to do is copy that group of UCS commands and just change 2262 to the new value in inches..  but the cui requires that I have to assign an unique name to each copied string or it changes the original one and I can not come back to that other building and continue working.

I know there are many many NEW features that I have not explored because there is nothing telling me about why the new option came about.  What can it do for me and / or what commands does it improve upon? Why would I want it?   "Here Johnny, Drink this and don't ask why!"  :smileyhappy:

Maybe I'm missing something or stuck in the past and just need a push.....   or hope for another little innovative start-up company with vision to come along like AutoDesk did back in the early 80's.   But then AutoDesk would probably buy them out and absorb them...   which is probably where Integraph messed up back in the 80's by ignoring AutoCAD.  :smileyvery-happy:

OK, Rant over..

Active Contributor
jclong
Message 25 of 41 (1,542 Views)

02-02-2012 11:17 AM in reply to: jclong

And as long as I'm here complaining..   Maybe someone here has found a suitable way to retire their digitizer and screen menu by moving the functions and macros to some new feature that works in a similar way with little or no loss of efficiency. If so, I would appreciate hearing about it.....   That could be the "push" I need.  Thanks

JohnAlderson3838
Message 26 of 41 (1,527 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012 editing SOLUTION

02-02-2012 02:17 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

Well my complaining far and wide has netted an answer, since yesterday, as to how to edit the screen menu within the 2012 CUI Editor.

Making the screen menu  display is covered above and in other places but I'll repeat.

At the command prompt, type in;

redefine

screenmenu

screenmenu

Or to display and edit immediately

redefine

screenmenu

screenmenu

cui

The screen menu will only be editable, in the CUI under Legacy,  for the current Autocad session.

For additional Autocad sessions that already display the screen menu, it is only necessary to type this at the command prompt;

redefine

screenmenu

cui

Or the next obvious step is to change the dropdown Tools/Customize/Interface.... to contain;

^C^Credefine;screenmenu;_cui

One day I'll amend the ribbon and wherever else it is in too.

Regards

John

JohnAlderson3838
Message 27 of 41 (1,518 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012, screenboxes

02-02-2012 02:54 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

Anyone worked out where the number 35 is hard coded in to the system variable screenboxes ?

I'm looking for a way to have more that 35 rows in the screen menu, but have not found where the setvar screenboxes is fixed to 35.

Regards

John

Active Contributor
jclong
Message 28 of 41 (1,514 Views)

02-02-2012 03:20 PM in reply to: JohnAlderson3838

If it's the same as on older versions of ACAD, the number of screen menu lines is a function of your computer's vertical screen resolution.  The higher your screen resolution, the more lines you can show..   same as the Icons on your Windows Desktop.

And by "vertical screen resolution" I mean, if your resolution is 1600x1200, the 1200 is what determines the number.

I believe it's a Windows controlled thing along with screen resolution.

JohnAlderson3838
Message 29 of 41 (1,504 Views)

02-02-2012 03:52 PM in reply to: jclong

I'm on a 30" screen at 2560x1600, and the 35 rows would be lucky to be half the available height.

In the good 'ol days, of R8/9/10.... it was possible to have 40 rows on an average CRT.

3 words come to mind, subsciption, upgrade & oxymoron.

The maximum must be capped somewhere at 35, If only it were possible to find where ?

Regards

John

Active Contributor
jclong
Message 30 of 41 (1,501 Views)

02-02-2012 04:22 PM in reply to: JohnAlderson3838

Sounds like you have the same monitors I do...   I have not installed ACAD 2012 yet as I've been dreading the change and the anticipated aggrivation of trying to get my digitizer and menu working.  On top of that, the 3rd party software I depend upon has been over 2 years in development due to legal a legal battle and the death of the CEO.  Their last usable version runs only on ACAD 2008 so I've been nursing this poor old XP 32 bit Dog along waiting for the dreaded switch.

I should be excited ro finally use my i7, 12 GB RAM dual Dell 30" monitors station......   so thanks / no thanks for the advanced heads up warning..  one more challenge...

My Son asks me why I don't play any more video games..  I told him that I still do!  Every time I install a new OS or version of ACAD and other work programs, I'm playing a Game....   the challenge is:  "Can you recover from this installation?"  GAME ON!! :smileysurprised:    I'll be watching to see what you find out.   Thanks for sharing.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube