AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 11 of 41 (1,334 Views)

Re: Screen Menu in 2012

04-12-2011 10:53 PM in reply to: LouderCAD

My attempts to create and use a custom screen menu within a partial CUIx have failed. It may be possible, but it didn't want to happen for me in my tests. Modifying the 2012 main CUIx in 2011 appears to be the way to go.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Distinguished Contributor
Message 12 of 41 (1,311 Views)

04-13-2011 06:52 AM in reply to: LouderCAD

Screen Menu?  I think you mean Menubar, or possible Shortcut Menus.

Assuming you mean menubar I see no way they can phase it out until the ribbon can be exported/imported.

As a CAD manager I would enjoy trying my hand at customizing it, but until I can save it there is no point.

Here are two commands that I have added to my quick toolbar, to make life a little easier.   

MenuBar Toggle Command;

$M=$(if,$(and,$(>,$(getvar,menubar),0)),^C^C_menubar;0,^C^C_menubar;1)

Ribbon Toggle Command;

$M=$(if,$(and,$(>,$(getvar,ribbonstate),0)),^C^C_ribbonclose,^C^C_ribbon)

I can’t figure out how to create one command that toggles both.

Mentor
Steve_Johnson
Message 13 of 41 (1,257 Views)

04-26-2011 07:54 PM in reply to: donande

The screen menu is quite different from the menu bar and shortcut menus, and predates both by some years. It, along with the command line, represents AutoCAD's original user interface.

Steve Johnson - blog nauseam - ClassicArray
Active Contributor
Message 14 of 41 (1,241 Views)

04-27-2011 05:51 AM in reply to: Steve_Johnson

I'm now exploring using OpenDCL to create a modeless dialog box that will function similar to the screen menu. I see no reason why it will not work. I could use AutoCAD's built-in Tool Palettes but OpenDCL provides more functionality.

Valued Mentor
Message 15 of 41 (1,233 Views)

04-27-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: LouderCAD

You could replace all of your toolbuttons with a blank icon, go through all of the panels and set the toolbuttons to small with text then dock the ribbon on the right side.

Seriously though, didn't tablets became popular becasue they got away from the clunky menu you are trying to restore?

Message 16 of 41 (1,226 Views)

04-27-2011 07:04 AM in reply to: tim.turner

I completely forgot about the screen menu, had to do some memory digging to recall what it was.

I did not use it when it came out, maybe because back then I did not have duel 22” monitors.

With today’s monitors I can understand the desire for it.

Although my wish is for Autodesk to give a second Tool Palette and give the Tool Palettes some needed update/fixes.  

Like line widths and line style image for polylines and leaders,add  layers, select object option for hatch patterns, etc. etc.  

*Expert Elite*
Message 17 of 41 (1,196 Views)

04-28-2011 05:15 PM in reply to: LouderCAD
Donande- Not sure what you mean by "...until the ribbon can be exported/imported...". Can you clarify?
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 18 of 41 (1,186 Views)

04-29-2011 05:54 AM in reply to: donande

donande wrote:

I completely forgot about the screen menu, had to do some memory digging to recall what it was.

I did not use it when it came out, maybe because back then I did not have duel 22” monitors.

With today’s monitors I can understand the desire for it.

When it came out? I think it came out in the very first version of AutoCAD available for the pc. Way before Windows OS with toolbars and menus. I used it in R10 DOS .

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Message 19 of 41 (1,175 Views)

04-29-2011 07:22 AM in reply to: mathewk

mathewk wrote:
Donande- Not sure what you mean by "...until the ribbon can be exported/imported...". Can you clarify?

I wrote that before a poster in the CAD manager forum was nice enough to let me know that the CUI>Transfer does importing/exporting, saving/recalling, transferring of what ever you want to call it.

I posted a wish for it several times, but no one ever replied.

My MS brain fog was ruff when transfer was added so I guess that was why I did not grasp what transfer does and  never thought to looked into it.

Active Contributor
Message 20 of 41 (902 Views)

11-10-2011 09:52 AM in reply to: Murph

I used the Screen Menu and Digitizer in ACAD Version 2.17 in 1985 and still do...   However, I noticed it was missing from 2012 and that's why I'm reading the posts here :smileysad: Back then, it was THE ONLY menu choice along with the command line. The Digitizer was a required piece of hardware.

My digitizer is loaded with custom commands and macros that often call up different screen menus with other common combinations of routines or macros that I use. Using the Digitizer with the stock ACAD menu is definitely a bad choice. You need to take the stock one and customise it and then it's a jewel. Same with the Screen Menu.... sigh....  Back before the CUI, editing the MNU file was a piece of cake and could be done on the fly when you discovered a series of steps that were going to be repeated for the current job...   just pause, bring up the text editor and 3 minutes later you had the macro up and running...  so simple!!

It looks like my life is going to get tougher from here on..  I've been hanging on to ACAD 2008 even though I have all of the newer ones sitting in their DVD Cases.

Maybe there is a way to use a custom pallet with all of the former screen menus??

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube