Scaling

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
aprule16
5269 Views, 10 Replies

Scaling

Hi!

How to scale drawing with dimension lines without changing dimensions in dimension lines? I got drawing with correct dimension lines but geometry is wrong.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: aprule16

How to correct this depends on whether the dimension text has been manually overridden, or if the dimension style has as a measurement scale factor.  To find out which, select one of the dimensions and view it's properties

DimProp.jpg

Message 3 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> How to scale drawing with dimension lines without changing dimensions in dimension lines?

May I ask why you need that? If you have a line with 1 length, a dimension that shows "1" ... and now you scale the line to "0.6" ... why should the dimension value show now "1" (instead of "0.6"), that does not make sense for me, it's just a source for upcoming errors whenever you insert that line to any other drawing (thinking it's length is "1").

If the need is to get it plotted to a smaller papersize then use layout and viewports. The content of viewports can be displayed in any scalefactor! (And that does not destroy the geometry/dimension dependancy)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:
and now you scale the line to "0.6" ... why should the dimension value show now "1" (instead of "0.6"),

If I understand the OP correctly, that's already the condition of the drawing he recieved.  I believe he's trying to scale the drawing 1:1 without having to redoing all the dimensions.

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nestly2

Hi,

>> I believe he's trying to scale the drawing 1:1 without having to redoing all the dimensions

In that case he/she can scale the drawing so the geometry is 1:1, then select all dimensions, open the property-window if not visible and change the property "Text override" to "<>" (without quotes) ==> that removes any overrides from the dimension and rewrites the correct measured value into the displayed text.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Correct... (assuming the dimensions have text overrides) 

The dimensions could have a scale factor other than "1".  I posted the screenshot hoping the OP would be able to tell "why" the dimensions don't match the geometry.

Message 7 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: nestly2

OP is the drawing a block?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 8 of 11
aprule16

Hi! Thanks for help. Drawing was a block so i needed to correct scale. And I've done it by setting dimension line scale 

Message 9 of 11

Just would like to clarify if I follow these tips and I lets say draw a line representing a 5m wall then the dimension text will read this is a 5m wall instead of a scaled down eg: 23mm wall (I need to draw a drawing that fits on the A4 page but gives the reader actual dimensions that they can actually use) but when I draw a 5m line and scale it to fit on an A4 page it screws up my measurements, - I'm very close to just drawing it myself on a piece of paper and sending them a photo. might be faster and easier than trying to do something that looks professional.

Message 10 of 11
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: mommsenderick

@mommsenderick wrote:

... I ... draw a line representing a 5m wall then the dimension text will read this is a 5m wall instead of a scaled down eg: 23mm wall (I need to draw a drawing that fits on the A4 page but gives the reader actual dimensions that they can actually use) but when I draw a 5m line and scale it to fit on an A4 page it screws up my measurements....

Read in Help about Paper Space Layouts.  You don't scale the Line in Model Space to fit on the page, but rather show it in a Paper Space Viewport, and set the plotting scale for the Viewport so that it fits.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 11
mommsenderick
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hi Kent

Thank you for your response - it does not help because I am a complete novice and know absolutely nothing about technical drawings - However in my mind I know what I want to achieve, all the help and help sections might as well be in Chinese. I found a program called solid edge that allows me to create a professional looking diagram. This program has a right click option on the dimension called "Not to Scale". once this is set on each and every dimension. I can scale down my image so that it prints on an A4 page and keeps my Real or Actual dimensions, and this is working for me for now. I must say though that I have tried numerous applications and these tech programs are not so easy to use and are very very clicky. the poor mouse gets ravaged just trying to achieve a simple concept. anyway thank you - I have achieved my goal for now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost