Did you mean: 

Scaling correctly from model to paper in AutoCAD 2010

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Splumb01
773 Views, 8 Replies

Scaling correctly from model to paper in AutoCAD 2010

Hi,

Its been a while since I have used AutoCAD and I appear to have forgotten how to correctly set my drawing up. Perhaps the version of AutoCAD I am using may be different to the one that I used to use.

The issue I am having is that whichever mesurement I state my drawing units to be, be it M or mm, when I go to plot on A4 orA3 paper the drawing appears tiny at a scale of 1:1 let alone the 1:50 I need my drawings to be. 

In my opinion it could be one of two things;

Firstly I have not set up the scales correctly and if so I am unaware how to do so. 

Or secondly it could be the way in which I am writing my measurements. For example, in reality if a given length was 3.550M long then I would write it as 3.5500 when I had set my drawing units up to be meters. If I was to write this measurement as millimeters I would move the decimal point so it would read 3550.0000. I also change my limits to allow for the millimeters reading accordingly, although when I have done this and drawn the line I can only see one end even if I fully scroll out.

I have a completed set of drawings that have had the limits set to 12.0000,9.0000 and drawing units set to M so if anyone could help me format these drawings so I can plot them to a 1:50 scale I would greatly Appreciate it.

Regards

SP 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Splumb01

1. Check to be sure that your scales are set properly.
    1. Even though it SAYS 1:50, that does mean that's actually what it is.
    2. When creating a custom scale, it is simply a matter of saying that x plotted units equals y model space units.
  2. Make sure that your viewport correctly specifies the scale.

If these issues look ok, post your dwg file and someone will take a look.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
steve216586

Are you plotting from modelspace or paperspace?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 9
GrantsPirate

Go here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Plot-scale-Annotation-scale-Viewport-scale/td-p...

to the posting I did, look at the attachment.

Anytime you are drawing in Meters in model space and your title block is in mm you have to adjust the desired plot scale by 1000.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: GrantsPirate

^ This.  Paper space is always considered inches for imperial units and millimeters for metric units regardless of what is being used in model space.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9
Splumb01

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your fast response I really appreciate it. I have had a look at your link and have tried to apply it to my drawings but with no change. I am unsure what I am doing wrong and would appreciate you taking a look at one of my drawings if you would be so kind? If you could highlight where the error I am making is I would then be able to apply it to my other completed drawings. I have attached a drawing.

Regards 

SP

Message 7 of 9
steve216586

When I went to your layout tab, there was no viewport. I inserted one to "fit". I modified the "PAGE SET UP MANAGER" for A4 and PDF. As noted before the layout will always be in mm. To achieve th eproper scaling, I used 1:5000. (see attached pic for settings and results.)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 8 of 9
GrantsPirate

splumb01 - Please read carefully.  Your paperspace viewport must be drawn to the metric sizes, therefore an A4 titleblock would be 210X297mm.  Create it with those dims (or slightly smaller) and create a viewport inside that border.  Do not assume that because a piece of paper that is A4 is very similar to 8.5X11 that it is true in AutoCAD.  You must use the true dimensions for a metric title block in your paper space.

When applying the scale factor in the viewport you are telling AutoCAD to scale the model space view relative to paperspace.  If you viewport is drawn too small in paperspace then it will appear to not be scaled properly.  It is scaled properly but because you have drawn a viewport at 8.5X11 instead of 210X297 not much of your drawing will show.

Now that you have the border and viewport made correctly go back to the chart I sent you and use the meter column to find the equivalent scaling factor to a mm drawing.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 9 of 9
Splumb01

Hi all,

Thank you for all the support, I have managed to sort it. I wouldnt have been able to without your help so thank you.

Regards 

SP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost