Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSM - Sheet Title

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
demus72
2499 Views, 12 Replies

SSM - Sheet Title

I am using Sheet Set Manager and it works great. There is a field in Sheet Set Manager that is only accessible when I select the properties of an individual drawing called Sheet Title. (see attached image) It doesn't come up in the list of custom fields of my sheet set. When I edit the field by editing the text, select the field, right click and select edit field, the field name is CurrentSheetTitle. It appears to extract the layout name when importing a layout by sheet. Is there any way to modify this field name?  I would like to use it the exact same way but I would like to call it Drawing Number to match that data in my title block. Any advice?

Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: demus72

AFAIK, there is no way to rename a built in property. You could create a custom property and name it as you wish.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 13
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

I am using Sheet Set Manager and it works great. There is a field in Sheet Set Manager that is only accessible when I select the properties of an individual drawing called Sheet Title. (see attached image) It doesn't come up in the list of custom fields of my sheet set. When I edit the field by editing the text, select the field, right click and select edit field, the field name is CurrentSheetTitle. It appears to extract the layout name when importing a layout by sheet. Is there any way to modify this field name?  I would like to use it the exact same way but I would like to call it Drawing Number to match that data in my title block. Any advice?

Thank you

1) It doesn't come up in the list of custom fields because it's NOT a custom field.  Sheet title  is at the TOP of the properties dialog for your sheet.

2) The sheet title does NOT have to  match the layout name.  In fact, mine NEVER does.  We have a custom property "Sheet ID" that contains C-101, E-101 etc.  I name my layout to match this.  Sheet title (in this example) is PLAN & PROFILE - ENTRANCE ROAD.

AcadSSM_SheetTitle.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 13
demus72
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for the reply doni49. I understand both of your comments and appreciate the feedback.

My point is, the creation of custom fields is endless. One could literally create hundreds. However, if there is a field built into Sheet Set Manager that matches an attribute in my company's title block, I'll use it. In my honest opinion, the fewer custom fields one has to manage, the better.

My question is, is it possible to rename a built in field? Not a big deal really but if I could, I'd like to rename it to match the corresponding attribute in my title block. Every company has their preferred methods and standards. In my case with the company I work for, we would like this field to read Drawing Number instead of Sheet title. Is this possible?

Thanks

Message 5 of 13
doni49

I'm not suggesting creating a new field and NOT using what's in the regular ones.

The point was that you can still use the SHEET TITLE field without having to make it match the layout name -- thus NOT CREATING A CUSTOM FIELD.

EDIT:  Ok, I just went back and re-read your OP.  You want to use this field for DRAWING NUMBER?  As in 1, 2, 3 etc?  There's a field called "SHEET NUMBER" that should do what you want and that's still not a custom field.  Sure the properties dialog doesn't call it DRAWING NUMBER, but that doesn't mean that the title block has to call it Sheet number.  And I'm sure your title block needs a field for "SITE PLAN", "ELECTRICAL PLAN" or something similar anyway.  That's where I'd use "SHEET TITLE" (and that IS where we use it).  Still no custom fields there.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 13
doni49

Here's a quick sample of how simple it can be.  Where we have "SHEET" in the title block, you can say "DRAWING NUMBER" if you want.  But neither the Sheet Number nor the Sheet Title is a custom field.  And as you can see, neither one matches the layout (that was the second problem you had in the original message).

AcadSSM_SheetTitle2.png

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 13
rkmcswain

demus72 wrote:

My point is, the creation of custom fields is endless. One could literally create hundreds. However, if there is a field built into Sheet Set Manager that matches an attribute in my company's title block, I'll use it. In my honest opinion, the fewer custom fields one has to manage, the better.

When you say custom "field", do you really mean custom "property"?

I think we have come to the point where post 2 has proven to be true. 

We use "Project phase" and "Project milestone" for other things that have nothing to do with these names. We've done it for a while and know what they are for, plus we use the same DST file, title blocks, etc. over and over so the mappings (property -> field) don't have to be redone.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 13
demus72
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for your input guys. Yes rkmcswain, I did mean custom property. Sorry for the confusion. And you're both absolutely correct, the built in fields can be used for anything really. In my company's title block, which I'll admit is somewhat funky, I've been using the Sheet title field to populate our Drawing Number. I say it is funky because Drawing Number in our title block isn't 1, 2, 3 as would be expected. Its actually the drawing name such as C-1 or G-3. I've been thinking about putting in a request to change this. We are using Sheet Number in another spot in the title block. One of the main reasons I asked the question is, I know Sheet title is being used for our Drawing Number but we have a lot of new young drafters here at my company. I know I am going to get a lot of questions when they create or edit drawings.

I apologize for the length of this post, but while we are on the subject. I am not using Sheet title for our actual sheet title because I have this set up as a template. From project to project, this value will be different of course and I wasn't able to make a single field wrap to a second line or even a third if necessary. What I did was set up six custom properties, 1 for a one line title, 2 custom properties for a double line title, and 3 for a three line title. Depending on the drawing title, unused are simply left blank. How are you guys handling the title? Can the width of the Sheet title field be manipulated to go multi line?

Thank you

Message 9 of 13
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your input guys. Yes rkmcswain, I did mean custom property. Sorry for the confusion. And you're both absolutely correct, the built in fields can be used for anything really. In my company's title block, which I'll admit is somewhat funky, I've been using the Sheet title field to populate our Drawing Number. I say it is funky because Drawing Number in our title block isn't 1, 2, 3 as would be expected. Its actually the drawing name such as C-1 or G-3. I've been thinking about putting in a request to change this. We are using Sheet Number in another spot in the title block. One of the main reasons I asked the question is, I know Sheet title is being used for our Drawing Number but we have a lot of new young drafters here at my company. I know I am going to get a lot of questions when they create or edit drawings.

I apologize for the length of this post, but while we are on the subject. I am not using Sheet title for our actual sheet title because I have this set up as a template. From project to project, this value will be different of course and I wasn't able to make a single field wrap to a second line or even a third if necessary. What I did was set up six custom properties, 1 for a one line title, 2 custom properties for a double line title, and 3 for a three line title. Depending on the drawing title, unused are simply left blank. How are you guys handling the title? Can the width of the Sheet title field be manipulated to go multi line?

Thank you

Sure you can -- as my last screenshot shows you.  Just make the attribute allow for Multiple lines.  Then when the Sheet title property is too long to fit in the given space, it'll wrap down to the next line.

AcadSSM_SheetTitle3.png

EDIT:  Did you open up the example drawing I posted?  Test it out.

EDIT2:  I forgot to mention that when I said "when the Sheet title property is too long to fit in the given space", the "given space" is controlled by the "Boundary Width" property of the attribute (within the block definition) which can be found on the properties page.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 13
jggerth1

While multiline attributes almost work, the fact that I can't control the line breaks is a deal breaker.  Really a PITA that I do not have that capability and have no alternative other than the kludgy Line 1 of 1, Line 1 of 2, Line 2 of 2, line 1 of 3, line 2 of 3, etc workaround.

Message 11 of 13
doni49
in reply to: jggerth1

For inserting a hard return at a specific place, have a look at this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-Basic-Customization/Carriage-Return-in-Field-in-Multiline-Attri...

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 13
jggerth1

Interesting, but not helpful unfortunately.  Since I have zero interest in developing yet another interface to SSM that wouol need to be distributed/maintained/supported....  the option of programmatically stuffing a carriage return into a SheetSet predefined or custom field is a non-starter.

Using the syntax of "line 1" & vbCr & "Line 2"  simply displays the entire string. quotes and all.

It's not an inherent problem in the FIELD, since the 'comments' block in DWGProps will in fact wrap properly when used in  field. 

Message 13 of 13
mgalicki

Doni,

I have been having issues with my ssm custom properties not "sticking" if you will.

I've used attributes & mtext but it's just not working?

The std ss properties work but the custom properties are not?

Would you be willing to send me your title  block “MDC_TitleBlocks.dwt”

And “ACD-C3D.dwt” ?

Also to add fields to a ss do I just open one of the sheets & add fields to it then save that file in place of the Sheet Creation Template dwt?

Or do I need to wblock & over write the block in the template that has the fields (attributes) in it?

I think I’m confused on the Order of operations with this thing?

I’ve read “Sheets Happens” several times & many writings on many forums Autodesk & AUGI but can’t find an accurate process of generating the template containing the fields.

I’ve even emailed Heidi Hewett. She did get back to me but is obviously into other dealings with the latest releases & refered me to the Autodesk Knowledge network & Autodesk Product Support team. 

If you can help me out I am truly greatful.

Everything in existence was first an Idea
Autodesk Plant 3D Premium 2019
Autodesk MEP 2019
HP 3.2 Ghz CPU 16 ram
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s hard drive
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680ti
HP 2311x 23" LED Monitor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost