Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read only

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
lhsherman19
362 Views, 9 Replies

Read only

I've searched and read the previous posts on this topic but I still need some help.

As an assignment for my internship, I had to revise some drawings created by another company.  I had no problem openning, editing and resaving the files with either of my eductational versions (PC and MAC).  But when I sent the drawings back to the company I am interning with, the files are read only.

I tried setting my properites to allow write then resaved the drawings, but they still can not open them as anything but read only.

I'm confused because I can open them on either of my computers with no problem.

Any thoughts.

Would it help if I sent you a file?

Thanks

Les

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
nestly2
in reply to: lhsherman19

Do you know if the recieved drawings are being saved to a shared folder, or it the recipient trying to open them from a temporary directory, such as double-clicking on the drawing file from within thier email program?

Message 3 of 10
nestly2

@lhsherman19 wrote:

Would it help if I sent you a file?

Sure, that could potentially determine if the problem lies with the file, or with something on the recipients end.

If you try to attach the dwg to your message and get an error message, put the dwg in a zip file and try again.

Message 4 of 10
dgorsman

I hope that educational version isn't being used for work purposes...  your files could be read-only due to some custom blocking of EDU content.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 10
lhsherman19
in reply to: nestly2

In fact they are trying to open the files by double clicking on the attachments in my email.

I will suggest they detatch and save to their hard drive then try opening.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Les

Message 6 of 10
lhsherman19
in reply to: dgorsman

The internship I'm doing is for a vocational school, so they also have the educational version of the software as well.  They are trying to open the files with an eductational version of the software.

Thank you for your help.

Les

Message 7 of 10
lhsherman19

nestly2,

attached is the drawing in question.

Thanks

Les

Message 8 of 10
nestly2

@lhsherman19 wrote:

In fact they are trying to open the files by double clicking on the attachments in my email.

I will suggest they detatch and save to their hard drive then try opening.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm reasonably certain they won't get the read-only warning after saving/unzipping to a local folder.  (or they can just open from email, acknowledge the read-only warning, then use SAVE_AS)

... and just to confrim, after saving and unzipping, your drawing opened without any read-only warning.

Message 9 of 10
nestly2

@lhsherman19 wrote:

The internship I'm doing is for a vocational school, so they also have the educational version of the software as well.  They are trying to open the files with an eductational version of the software.

Ok, just make sure everyone understands and takes the Educational version warning seriously.  If anyone so much as copies a single LINE or piece of MTEXT or anything else from your drawing into the Windows clipboard, and then pastes into a non-educational drawing, that drawing will now be permanently stamped with the EDU plotstamp, effectively rendering the entire drawing useless for commercial purposes.

Message 10 of 10
lhsherman19

That's good to know, Nestly2.  I am certain that everyone there is using the educational version because it is an educational facility, but I'll pass the warning on to be safe.

Thanks

Les

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost