AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
cadman
Message 1 of 8 (458 Views)

Quick Calc Conversion Units

458 Views, 7 Replies
10-06-2011 03:21 PM

On 09-21-2005, RBowser posted a question about setting the units in the Quick Calc Converter to the units he uses most often, instead of having to change it each time. I too would like to know if it is possible to set the units to my preference. I mostly convert square feet to acres, but have to change the area units from metric each time I use it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Okay, I should probably rephrase that question to, "does anyone have a helpful suggestion pertaining to this issue"... I can only imagine some of your suggestions, and hopefully they would be caught by the censors...

Thanks in advance.

Drew

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2006/QuickCalc-Units-Conversion/td-p/1439427

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 2 of 8 (452 Views)

Re: Quick Calc Conversion Units

10-06-2011 04:08 PM in reply to: cadman

I have 2012 downloaded but have not installed it.  I tried this in 2010, adjusting the settings, closed the file and reopened again and the settings defaulted back to meters (default setting).  I think that is the way it is and I don't know of anything at the moment to change them.

Contributor
cadman
Message 3 of 8 (440 Views)

10-07-2011 06:10 AM in reply to: azrdgldr

Thanks for your reply on the Quick Calc issues... It doesn't make since that you can't change the default settings... I've researched other sites and having had any luck...

Drew

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 4 of 8 (436 Views)

10-07-2011 06:14 AM in reply to: cadman

You could search if there is a lisp program that could that for you.  I would do a google search or search thru the Lisp/Vlisp forum to see if a program exists all ready.  Or post a request there and if you peak someone's interest, they may write on for you.

Distinguished Contributor
mjung
Message 5 of 8 (389 Views)

02-29-2012 09:22 AM in reply to: cadman

Was an answer to this question ever found?  I'd like to be able to keep the "Feet to Acres" area setting as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Intel Xeon W5580 @3.20GHz
12gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Contributor
cadman
Message 6 of 8 (382 Views)

02-29-2012 10:56 AM in reply to: mjung

Not that I know of... and I haven't had any luck researching, yet.

Distinguished Contributor
mjung
Message 7 of 8 (377 Views)

02-29-2012 11:38 AM in reply to: cadman

Thanks for the reply! My research has also come up empty. Seems strange that no one has come up with a way to do what we are asking considering how long Quickcalc has been around.

Oh well... back to wasting time changing the units each time:smileysad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Intel Xeon W5580 @3.20GHz
12gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 8 of 8 (368 Views)

02-29-2012 04:45 PM in reply to: mjung

It does seem ridiculous that QC forgets evertyhing, and just as riduclous that you can't input feet & inches &fractions and convert to meters or decimal feet. so you already have to do a manual conversion before you can use the conversion calculator

Even more frustrating is that AutoCAD has shipped with a units definition file, ACAD.UNT, since v2.5 or there abouts.  It's a basic text file that maps most common units as well as many un-common units to conversion factors.  If you have a pressing need to regularly convert furlongs to meters or cables, it's easy right now using the commandline  geometry calculator.  If you want to convert meters to exas vars, that's almost as easy - just add the conversion factor to acad.unt.

But -- seems like none of the develoeprs or program directors at autodesk remembered that, or they couldn't be bothered to incorporate something as old skool and primitive as a text file inteo the whizbang world of dotNet programming.

so if you want to know how many firkins in a cubic meter, Google it and then do the math yourself.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube