Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with linetypes, help needed.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
zootango
1286 Views, 5 Replies

Problem with linetypes, help needed.

If I start autocad and draw a line then change its linetype from continuous to Fenceline2 it shows up like it's supposed to, a line with small squares in it.   I can also change it's linetype to Fenceline1 and the linetype shows up just fine with the line and small circles in it.

But when I call up some existing autocad drawings that have lines with the Fenceline1 or Fenceline2 linetypes assigned to them, the small boxes or circles are missing from the linetypes.  When you type linetype at the command prompt the linetypes are listed in the dialog box, but for some reason they are not showing up right in the existing drawing.     When I type linetype, and hit the load button, and browse to my acad.lin file and select it, I get an error message of Bad Definition for linetype Fenceline1 and another for Fenceline2 and another for Batting etc.

So why are these Complex linetypes not working in the Existing drawing but work fine in the just call up autocad empty drawing, and how do I fix them to work in the existing drawing?

Thanks for any help offered.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: zootango

In the existing drawing, do they show when you zoom in way up close? If so, is your CANNOSCALE set to 1:1 in modelspace? Are there linetype scale overrides on the lines?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Also keep in mind the linetypes from ACAD.LIN are scaled for an inch-sized drawing (typically, 22 units x 34 units).  When used on a metric-sized drawing (typically 841 units x 594 units) the linetypes will not be at the correct scale.  Thats why there is also an ACADISO.LIN file.  Same problem other way around - dash lengths scaled for the metric-sized drawings will not appear properly on an imperial-sized drawing.

All that also assumes that the global LTSCALE for the drawing is 1.0, and object LTSCALE values are also 1.0.  If you start twiddling with those values then it makes things more complex.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
zootango
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

CANNOSCALE IS SET TO 1:1 IN Model Space, no overides.

In the existing drawings when you change a line to linetype Fenceline1, the dashes in the linetype show up but the small circles do not, same with Fenceline2 as well.

So frustrating, the linetypes work fine in a clean empty autocad session call up, they are just messed up in existing drawings.

Message 5 of 6
info
in reply to: zootango

I am in a new drawing.

Fenceline1 is my CHOSEN linetype.

LTSCALE in model space is set at 240.

Fence posts not lining up measuring 10'.

Linear Measurements made.

Then changed the linetype scale to 259 and fence now measures at 10' center to center metal post.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Message 6 of 6
doni49
in reply to: info

Post two dwg files:  1 showing the linework that's NOT working.  1 showing the linework is IS working.

Someone will compare them.

If there are issues/concerns about size or privacy, save a copy of both files then in the copies, delete EVERYTHING except the lines that you want to show us.  Then purge ALL -- make sure "Purge Nested Items" is turned on (see the screenshot).

This should make the files considerably smaller and should eliminate EVERYTHING that would create a privacy concern.

PurgeDialog.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost