Problem inserting blocks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
484 Views, 6 Replies

Problem inserting blocks

Hi,

I'm downloading .STEP files from the internet, opening them in inventor, then saving them as .dwg files that I can use in my 3D autocad drawings.  I am using AutoCAD 2012 and I am running into some issues when I try to insert the objects. 

So, I open up a new AutoCAD 2012 drawing and begin inserting.  I can insert the first object just fine, any one of my downloaded files.  It's the second part that is the issue.  I will get one of two issues when trying to insert this second object.  When inserting, it will either show the previous part that I inserted or not show anything at all. 

I don't know if it's a bug, an issue with my set-up, or if I'm doing something funky when converting the .STEP files.

Please help me, I am beyond frustrated with this.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Even just found out that if I open the blocks in AutoCAD 2012, each in a separate window and try and copy and paste it still won't work. For example, I have the housing for a connector in one window and the insert for that connector housing in the other window.  If I copy (ctrl C) the insert and try and paste (ctrl V) it into the window that has the housing another housing pops up.  It's like I can't have multiples of these blocks that i've converted in the same window, although I can have multiples of the same exact block in the same window.

Please Help.

Thank You

Message 3 of 7
nestly2

Did you know you can import STEP files directly into AutoCAD2012.  That may be worth a try.

File > Import

If that still doesn't work, maybe post one of the objects that's causing the problem so we can try to replicate the behavior

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

That did help with one of the .STEP files, but not these two.  These are two inserts for a 48pin Harting connector; one is labeled 1-24 and the other 25-48.  I first imported the 1-24 step file like you had said, then I imported the 25-48 and it imported the 1-24 again.  I've attached the .STEP files.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Try renaming the files. When importing, acad only 'reads' to the first period in the filename - so both of those come in with the same name.

Message 6 of 7
nestly2

They're  both coming in with the same block name.  Rename the first one, then insert the 2nd.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Worked perfect guys.  Couldn't thank you enough.  Turned out pretty cool.

Thanks a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost