AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
HAMJAM
Message 1 of 5 (789 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pitfalls of using 'Sketchy' visual style

789 Views, 4 Replies
09-14-2011 06:45 AM

I am trying to do produce an image in 3d using the 'sketcy' visual style.  Unless you guys can correct me it seems impossible to control the line weights in 'sketcy' visual style?

I am trying to avoid having to take the model into Impression as that just adds further complications and extra time into the equation. 

It seems to me that 'sketcy' has a lot of potential due to the fact that you can control the 'jitter', 'occulded edges', but it seems illogical in a cad package not to be able to control line weights?     

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 5 (758 Views)

Re: Pitfalls of using 'Sketchy' visual style

09-14-2011 06:48 PM in reply to: HAMJAM

I've never used Sketchy before, but lineweights seem to work OK for me using AutoCAD2011

http://screencast.com/t/WUOgLtARD

Active Contributor
HAMJAM
Message 3 of 5 (743 Views)

Pitfalls of using 'Sketchy' visual style

09-15-2011 06:29 AM in reply to: nestly

Nestly, thanks very much for the answer by the way of a video link - much appreciated.

However, I perhaps did not explain the issue as clearly as I should.  If you put a 3d drawing (with a reasonable level of complexity) into the viewport it becomes impossible to go through and manually change all the line weights as per your video link.

What I am trying to establish is how you get the level manager to work within the viewport.  Having the level manager work would be the most efficient way of controlling line weights.

*Pro
nestly
Message 4 of 5 (736 Views)

09-15-2011 07:43 AM in reply to: HAMJAM

Try creating a new viewport and using VP overrides to asign the lineweight by layer. I did it in an 8MB 3D drawing, and it's too slow to work in that mode practically, but it would be OK for creating plotted output.  Just make sure you're computer/video card has enough horsepower.

Active Contributor
HAMJAM
Message 5 of 5 (730 Views)

09-15-2011 08:36 AM in reply to: nestly

Got it - that worked a treat many thanks.

Seems a shame however that you can only adjust the jitter on the entire image not on each different layer?  As such I suspect it may be better to use Google Sketch up instead? 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube