Did you mean: 

Paste as block disabled

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
2150 Views, 17 Replies

Paste as block disabled

Dear all,

I have encountered the paste as block command of using AutoCAD 2012. i exploded the block and modified. After that i select the objects that i exploded and want to create another block again. I could do it before now most of the time when i select the objects and used the commond option " copy with base point" . When i select the base poing it took about 7-8 seconds( which is supposed to be very long) and in the commond line it display as Img-1. After i selected the base point..again it will take a few seconds and display the following Img-2 & Img-3. Anyone pls help me to find the solution for my issue. And my autocad performance is really slow nowadays. Any option i can do for faster speed? Especially whenever i select the object i hv to wait about 3 seconds. Any idea please.

Thank you all.

Best Regards,

Thanhtike.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
nestly2
in reply to: Anonymous

Whille I don't really endorse using "Paste as Block" due to the lack of control specifying Basepoint and BlockName, if the option is not available, try using the keyboard combinaiton CTRL+Shift+V

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

Hi Nestly,

I tried but still the same 😞

Message 4 of 18
nestly2

How large is the drawing, and how often do you restart AutoCAD?

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Yup..this is the question...now 13MB after i used the purge common.

any other option to make the dwg file size smaller.

i never restart menually unless failure 🙂

how often shall i need to restart ?

Message 6 of 18
nestly2

@Anonymous wrote:

i never restart menually unless failure 🙂

Does 'never" actually mean never, or does it mean only at the beginning of the day?

@Anonymous wrote:

how often shall i need to restart ?

This may be a good time to shut down and find out.  If you restart infrequently, the physical memory may be very full or fragmented resulting in slow performance and unnecessary disk access.  If restarting solves the copy/paste problem and/or reduces the lag selecting objects, then you'll have a point of comparison.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

i mean i work and use ACAD at day time(office hr only), so if i don't have any error i use it until end of the day without restart. May be this is one issue.

And the file size ( any idea to reduce it ?)

Message 8 of 18
nestly2

Some recommend restarting AutoCAD at least once during the day, however I don't really believe that is necessary unless performance is noticably better immediately after restart.  Size of the file, amount of RAM, Operating System, and the number of other programs running will all have an affect on how AutoCAD performs and how often it should be restarted.

Without seeing the file, it's impossible to know whether 13MB is larger than needed.  Using WBLOCK to export all the objects in the drawing into a fresh new drawing is probably the  quickest and most effective way to reduce a drawing to it's minimum size.

Message 9 of 18
heinsite

AutoCAD is not the only program these days with so-called memory leaks.  So it just makes sense to shut it down periodically and restart it for a clean slate.  I've heard Lynn Allen suggest more than once that shutting AutoCAD down at lunch and starting it up again is a good idea.  I do this myself, and it would work out to about 4 hr blocks or so for many of us.  I would suspect a lot of AutoCAD problems might be traced to memory leaks and the size and complexity of the files being worked on.  I do tend to shut down and restart more often whenever I work with especially large files.

So there's no hard data to report here, just the suggestion that a restart every 3-4 hrs or so might prevent a problem now and again.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 10 of 18
pendean

So, going back to your post: the problem is unique to one block, or one file? Kstechbook Designer as an object type is noted in your screenshot 1, so you have custom objects being used that are from outside AutoCAD.
Screenshot 2 and 3 simply mean AutoCAD cannot find the custom font being used (so called 'working.shx) and is making a substitution: that just means you do not have the required font file, ask for it from the file creator/originator.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

Is this issue occur only in a specific drawing?, did you try the command in a new drawing? do not copy any entities from the problem drawing, create new entities ina new drawing and check whether it is working or not.

If it is in a specific drawing and if possible to attch the drawing here to see and find a workaround, then do it.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

yup some objects converted from dgn file and alot of dgn layers are mixed.

The problem is i am not a microstation use and have zero knowledge on it .

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Hi abubakars,

yes it only occour in specific dwg .

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

I doubt that you may have DGN linetypes which causes this kind of issue, since you have not attached the drawing, I could not confirm it. check the link for DGN issue http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/odd-problem-lots-of-unknown-linetypes-are... .

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Hi abubakars,

I also think that DGN linetypes may be the issue.

But  i could not check the link you attached. can you please attach again.

Thank you.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

so you mean i can remove those DGN line types by using BatchInEditor?

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

you can use either BatchInEditor or BachInDatabase to remove DGN linetypes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost