18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Shillamus
989 Views, 18 Replies

Paper Space Dimensions changing on opening file

Thank you for helping if you can. I am on ACAD 2012

I am using paper space dimensions and have a problem that they keep changing

I have attached a drawing demonstrating my problem. The square is 12' x 12''. Everytime the file is opened DIM SCALE LINEAR is multiplied increasing all dimensions by the multiplier. It does this each time the file is opened.

You can right click  remove overrides on the dimension to get it to appear correctly (I don;t have any overides the software is overiding on open.

Thanks again if you can help. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Shillamus

Hi,

I have now opened your drawing, saved it as a new file, repeated that 3 times .. the dimension shows 12'

I opened the drawing added a linear dimension, saved the drawing as new file, closed and reopend it (3 times) ... all dimensions show 12'

So I can't reproduce that with my AutoCAD 2012.

The questions now are:

- did I miss anything I should do with your drawing so I can reproduce it?

- do you have plain AutoCAD 2012 or a vertical

- do you have installed the latest servicepack

- do you have any tools/plugins/applications installed on top of AutoCAD?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 19
Shillamus
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My reseller experienced the same problem I had.

I don't think I have a vertical

Thanks for trying Al,

Did you save, close and open the file multiple times???

Message 4 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Did you save, close and open the file multiple times???

Yes, with creating new dimensions and also without (just use your drawing, _QSAVE, _CLOSE, _OPEN)

>> I don't think I have a vertical

What does command _ABOUT show you? Make a screenshot and upload it (mask the serial number).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 19
Shillamus

Thanks Alfred

I am using ACAD 2011.. I donlt know how to make sure I have the latest service pack installed

Message 6 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am using ACAD 2011

I guess you have AutoCAD 2012 like you wrote in your first post, not 2011 (copyright shows 2011 and in the year 2011 AutoCAD 2012 was released) 😉

But you have not installed the latest servicepack as the version information is F.51.xxx ==> so please first install the current serivepacks from >>>here<<< and try it then again.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 19
Shillamus

Thanks for the link to the service packs

I am updated thru sp2 but still have the same problem

Message 8 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am updated thru sp2 but still have the same problem

Sorry to hear that, but as I can't reproduce the issue I don't know how to go on with that. But as your reseller can reproduce it I guess you'll get a solution from there.

I would now verify (if other installations with same AutoCAD release available) to test this drawing on other systems. Another test might be to login with a new user account (Windows user account)  and see if the problem is the same then.

For the moment I'm sorry not to have more ideas.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 19
Shillamus

My reseller is investigating. He says he can recreate the problem with my file

Other users in the building have the identical problem

This is extremlely frustrating

I started with acad template and made a brand new drawing and still get the behavior where dimensions are multiplied upon each opening of the file. If vport scale is set to 3/8=1" the multiplier is 32

Thanks for your help Alfred

Message 10 of 19
Shillamus

I am attaching another file here...

Could someone please open it and tell me if the dimensions are 144 x 144 on opening?

The dims   were reading 147456 x 147456 when I saved the file.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The dims   were reading 147456 x 147456 when I saved the file.

And that are the values I see when I open your drawing (and saved as new file, closed and reopened too).

2013-06-11 21-40-53.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 19
Shillamus

Problem is the box is 144x144"

You do not have the multiplier.. the reseller does

What is the difference???

Message 13 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Problem is the box is 144x144"

At least that is one reason more for me to not use dimensioning in paperspace but in modelspace. 😉

When I create a new dimension in paperspace (with objectsnapping to the endpoints of your rectangle) I get 144.00 as dimension value, when I create a dimension with the same distance but without snapping to points on the geometry I get the value 6.00

Attached my drawing based on yours with 2 new dimensions. Also in that case, no dim-value changes when closing and reopening the DWG.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 19
Shillamus

Thanks for your uploaded  drawing.. this is what I see when I open it.

I guess the solution is to give up on PS dimensions. That is a shame because they are useful.

I still don't understand why Alfred can't recreate the problem

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Oh, oh, I forgot the resulting screenshot, sorry.

Well, here it is, opening my drawing should look like that:

2013-06-11 22-10-54.png

I'm too interested if anyone else can reproduce the problem.

If not my guess stays at: you have some tools installed (same as your reseller) that modifies the values.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 19
Shillamus

How do I get rid of plug ins?

I set APPAUTOLOAD to 0 it was set at 14. It was indicated in help file that this value would not allow any apps to load. The software seemed to load faster.

It did not fix my problem. Still have the same behavior. Dimensions are multiplied on opening.

Message 17 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

APPAUTOLOAD only controls plugins (apps from internet, started from a special plugin-folder), not tools you have loaded as LISP, VBA, ARX, .NET-DLL's ....

>> How do I get rid of plug ins?

(I interpret that now as globally any applications or tools, not just "plugins") One try would be to create a new user-account for Windows, then login with that account and start AutoCAD with the hope, that the application has not overwritten some files in the AutoCAD-installation directory (because in that case you will have to run an uninstaller of that application).

But as your reseller has the same problem ... and up to now noone else in the forum ... it's up to your reseller to tell you what you have installed equal to him/her. That would be the way to go ... compare your installations, what has he installed additionally to plain AutoCAD (and has it also on his/her computer).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 19
Shillamus

Alfred, thank you for your support

I resolved the issue! Happiness!!!

I completely uninstalled all AutoCad software on my machine and reinstalled ACAD 2012

The issue appears to have been resolved.

Kudos to Alffred for suspecting I had a corrupt installation.

Message 19 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I resolved the issue! Happiness!!!

Wow, great to hear that and congratulation to you solving that now.

So the next step is to get some coffee from your reseller next time as he also has this problem and can solve it now with your tip.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost