Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF export quality with xref

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
b9eastwell
1998 Views, 11 Replies

PDF export quality with xref

When importing AutoCAD sheets to PDF which contain xreferenced PDF files, images and diagrams are plotting with a horrible irregular jagged edge (see attached image). PDF files have been created from Excel, DiaLUX, word and a number of others. 

The exact same file physically plots fine, and preview within AutoCAD looks fine. 

I have used AutoCAD PDF driver, Adobe PDF driver, and have also increased resolution within settings dialogue - all with no avail.

Anyone shed any light on this, or suggest an alternative workflow/software?

Cheers in advance,

Ben.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

>> The exact same file physically plots fine, and preview within AutoCAD looks fine.

Strange, as AutoCAD can't differentiate between a physically plotting and a plot to Adobe-PDF-Printer.

You might now try e.g. PDFCreator (which I use sometimes when I have issues with the internal DWG to PDF.pc3.

Can you create a sample drawing having an PDF attached that showes that issues? If so please upload the drawing, the PDF you have attached + a PDF that is then the result of plotting.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12

Hi Alfred,

thanks for your quick reply. I've downloaded PDF creator and tried it with default settings, results are similar to attached files.

The PDF (sample) was exported from Microsoft Excel and PDF (sample sheet) was exported with built in DWG to PDF driver on AutoCAD.

Thanks again,

Ben

Message 4 of 12
b9eastwell
in reply to: b9eastwell

Apologies, files attache here.

Message 5 of 12

Hi,

I attached your SAMPLE.PDF to a new drawing using AutoCAD 2012.

I can not see that problem when using DWG to PDF.pc3 and plot-preview, but I can see it when plotting within the PDF.

I can not see that problem when using PDFCreator, look to the attached file (and try to plot with my DWG-file, maybe there are some different drawing settings).

What AutoCAD-type/release/service pack are you using?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 12

Just tried the dwg you sent and plotted with PDFcreator with same results as you. The edge around the image is fixed, notable reduction in text quality though.

Would adjusting the res / dpi help to improve this?

I'm running AutoCAD 2012 - product version F.51.0.0

Thanks,

B

Message 7 of 12

Hi,

>> Just tried the dwg you sent and plotted with PDFcreator with same results as you

That's why I please you to send me your drawing as I guess there might be a variable/setting in your DWG when you didn't get PDFCreator to bring up the same result in your drawing as in mine.

>> I'm running AutoCAD 2012 - product version F.51.0.0

You have not installed any service pack, so look to the service packs >>>here<<< and install SP2.

>> Would adjusting the res / dpi help to improve this?

To raise the DPI-setting can help, but at least the most important thing is the source file that is attached, if that is created with 150 dpi and you scale that by 2 the output is 75dpi, if you set the output to 600dpi AutoCAD has to resample the basic graphic much more compared to a source that has already 600dpi 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 12
b9eastwell

OK thanks for your kind advice. I am installing service pack as we speak.

I've attached dwg sample file I used to demonstrate problem.

B

Message 9 of 12

Hi,

that is what I get using your drawing, I would see that as OK (no JPEG-jitter around your graphics).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 12

I was still unhappy with the quality of PDF. 

Strange thing is, I plotted the AutoCAD file to PDF using DWG to PDF plotter, the pdf file had the jpeg jitter around images on screen, but when I physically plotted the PDF file the jpeg jitter was not visible on paper.

My colleague opened the PDF file in nitro PDF and the jpeg jitter was not visible on screen (I am using adobe pro). This suggests its some sort of software issue, but majority of clients will use Adobe to read PDF files, and whilst the document is still legible it would be favoured if it was not there!

Thanks for your advice Alfred.

Message 11 of 12

Hi,

what about the message 6 here in the thread? There you have tried my drawing and it was ok, what changed since that time?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 12
b9eastwell

Worth noting, I came up with a temporary solution - by opening with photoshop and rasterizing the file and resaving as pdf the problem was solved. Had to tweek settings to keep file size down though

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost