AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
Message 1 of 5 (514 Views)

Newer DWG file formats open new instance

514 Views, 4 Replies
12-10-2009 12:47 PM
We just recently upgraded form 2009 to 2010 (inventor suite). And we had some DWG opening file problems that were resolved with IT going into the registry. Apparently it was not being properly updated when we installed new versions (we don't have admin privileges).

Anyways 2 employees now get new instances of AutoCAD opening when double clicking a DWG in explorer, however only if the DWG format is 2007 or later. 2004 and 2000 file formats open just fine. I do not have this problem and tried comparing my registry settings for AutoCAD DWG launcher to theirs but saw no obvious differences.

I can find any other place for launcher settings, there are lots of other places like r17, r18 places in the registry but I don't want to mess with it too much...

Any ideas?
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 5 (514 Views)

Re: Newer DWG file formats open new instance

12-10-2009 01:03 PM in reply to: jjnoble
Did IT hard code which exe is called for the DWG files?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 5 (514 Views)

02-24-2010 07:27 AM in reply to: jjnoble
When I double click on a dwg file in Explorer it opens a new instance each time. How do I adjust it so it opens all files into the same one instance?

I have already checked SDI which is set to 0.

I do not see any in System Options for 'single drawing compatibility mode' in 2010. Edited by: dnorden on Feb 24, 2010 10:56 AM
Message 4 of 5 (514 Views)

02-24-2010 08:04 AM in reply to: jjnoble
I figured the problem out. You can search 'SDI' for more info on the issue.
Make sure that Explorer is set to open .dwg files using Autocad DWG Launcher (not acad.exe as I had done).

You can change this by browsing to the folder with a drawing, right click on a dwg, select 'open with' and browse to the program, and check the box to always do this.
Active Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (514 Views)

02-24-2010 12:50 PM in reply to: jjnoble
I do not believe that they did. They don't usualy get that deep into the regisrty or CAD software.

But the issue was resolved after an IT member did a lot of internet searching and messing with the regisrty so it's all good now.
I'm not sure how it got messed up in the first place, perhaps a combo of permision issues and different deployment methods of different version of ACAD and inventor. (Some times they come and instal it other times they have pushed it out with a network install and oce I think the did it with a remote log on) Edited by: jjnoble on Feb 24, 2010 3:51 PM

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube